Started to open a seemingly 'dead' egg to see what happened, chick seems to still be alive!

ParanoidPython

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 20, 2017
Idaho, USA
A panicked hello from Idaho.

It is day 23 on my bantam eggs, and, out of five, a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte has already hatched, and the little sweetie is running around the brooder acting like a chick.

The other three eggs were early quitters, and didn't make it past lockdown. I figured this one suffered the same fate, as I thought I saw a blood ring when I candled it.
sad.png

I gently opened it at the top of the air cell. I could see a fully developed chick through the membrane, poked it a little, and it moved. Right now it is on a clean damp towel in a tupperware container, in the incubator. The yolk hasn't been absorbed yet, either.

I feel like a complete moron right now... please tell me there is something more I can do to make sure this little one makes it. This is my first time hatching eggs, and I already feel terrible about the other three.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hey I know how you feel, my first hatch was about two weeks ago and I was only hatching 7 eggs, 2 were fertile and the other 5 were not. I had one chick running around in my brooder and the other egg that was wiggling next to the one egg that had hatched seemed to have quit on hatch day. I really freaked out because I didnt want it to die so I helped the chick hatch almost all the way through. Now you don't want to help them any earlier than 18 to 24 hours because if they arent ready to pip, you can cause them to get stuck to the membrane and not be able to hatch unless you keep them really moist. what I did was a day after hatch day I opened it up about half way so it could push right out, and now I have two lil chicks in my brooder. There is hope but if the chick doesnt make it just understand it was not your fault, it may not have been strong enough to hatch. I literally worried myself till I got sick and had to make a trip to the bathroom, and it doesnt help the situation to have to vomit. All im saying is I had very low hope but my chick got through it and is the healthiest chick in the planet, and spoiled lol.

Hey I know how you feel, my first hatch was about two weeks ago and I was only hatching 7 eggs, 2 were fertile and the other 5 were not. I had one chick running around in my brooder and the other egg that was wiggling next to the one egg that had hatched seemed to have quit on hatch day. I really freaked out because I didnt want it to die so I helped the chick hatch almost all the way through. Now you don't want to help them any earlier than 18 to 24 hours because if they arent ready to pip, you can cause them to get stuck to the membrane and not be able to hatch unless you keep them really moist. what I did was a day after hatch day I opened it up about half way so it could push right out, and now I have two lil chicks in my brooder. There is hope but if the chick doesnt make it just understand it was not your fault, it may not have been strong enough to hatch. I literally worried myself till I got sick and had to make a trip to the bathroom, and it doesnt help the situation to have to vomit. All im saying is I had very low hope but my chick got through it and is the healthiest chick in the planet, and spoiled lol.

X2

I would always reccomend making sure you know everything about helping a chick before you do it. U can do alot of damage so just make sure you dont over help it and if you see blood stop for 1 to 3 hours and chip away again without tearing the membrane at all. if you tear the membrane continue chipping away in a different spot or harm will come to the chick

Thank you all for the replies! I feel more at ease.

When I opened the egg, I made sure not to get too close to the membrane, though when I poked the chick, it did break through a tiny bit near the edge. There was a very small amount of blood when it did.
Right now the egg is at high humidity, in a small container in the incubator. I know these little guys can pull through even in the toughest situations, so I'm not giving up hope yet!

Thank you all for the replies! I feel more at ease.

When I opened the egg, I made sure not to get too close to the membrane, though when I poked the chick, it did break through a tiny bit near the edge. There was a very small amount of blood when it did.
Right now the egg is at high humidity, in a small container in the incubator. I know these little guys can pull through even in the toughest situations, so I'm not giving up hope yet!
Make sure you keep us updated Im really excited to see how this turns out and pics are always nice too, I love bantams, also the fact that it poked through a lil mean that it still has strength to get out I would give yourself a pat on the back and just wait until the action happens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom