started working on a new coop today...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mydog8it, Nov 4, 2010.

1. mydog8it

mydog8it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    ...and the cutest little construction crew wandered in to check it out! It amazes me how bold and curious they are.

After nearly impaling myself with a borrowed nail gun, I decided it would be safer to use screws. Other than that, so far so good [​IMG] Hopefully (given my lack of construction skills) it will turn out like this:

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Looks cool. I agree with you abou the nailgun. I would be dangerous with the thing. My husband would pick it up and say, "How does this work" and end up shooting himself. I don't let him near MY power tools
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It looks like it's going to be almost a Japanese coop! Very nice. Your work crew help much for the beginning phase you have going there? [​IMG]
  4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I love the design and your little roo. He's super cute [​IMG]
  5. mydog8it

mydog8it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010

@CoyoteMagic - I think that's how my husband feels about me and power tools. lol
    @ChickensAreSweet - Well, they ate my plans and pooped on everything, so I'll have to go with not helpful but definitely entertaining!
    @Break an Egg - Thank you. He has a very sweet personality so far.
  6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I was really surprised how fearless my chickens were around power tools. They'd get right up on the board I was cutting and get close to the spray of sawdust!! No fear of hammering sounds. I finally had to move the construction work to an area outside of the run, and then move the sections of what I was building back into it.

Of course, now I let them range freely, so no matter what I'm building, I've got feathered supervisors observing my work.

I'm putting up a shed now... luckily, it's a DIY kit made of resin, so there's no sawing at all.
  7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    My Coop
    I'm looking forward to seeing this come together! [​IMG] My chickens were very curious about the construction of their coop too.
  8. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    I love your supervisors!!! Cute, cute. Good luck, it looks like it will really be a great coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by