Starter crumbles vs. pellets question

Gardengirl 2011

Songster
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Central Florida
My girls are about 4 months old now and I'm having a blast with them! It sounds like many here keep them on starter until they lay which is what I'm planning on doing. Or should I switch to grower now? I know they're not ready for layer yet. I only have about a weeks worth of the crumbles left and want to get them on pellets instead. I just think there'll be less waste that way. Should I keep them on medicated? They've been outside for about a month now. Should I mix the pellets with the remainder of crumbles to get them used to eating something differnt in size from the feeder? Sorry if this is a silly question.
hide.gif

Do you know that Purina has layer feed that comes in crumbles as well as pellet. When i crossed over from starter to layer I mixed the two till the starter was gone. Then mixed both layer pellet and layer crumble togther and still do today. Some of the girls like pellet and some crumble. My rooster likes the pellet.

Not sure, but I don't think they make medicated pellets for big birds. You don't have to switch to pellets, they make crumbles for layer hens also, mine don't like the pellets, I've tried, so I went back to the "age appropriate" crumbles.

To my knowlege they don't make medicated feed in anything but chick starter. At 16 weeks you might as well just switch to layer.

I keep switching the picture that I use for my avatar. This one happens to be from the movie Conagher.

Thanks everyone! I thought it was bad to give layer until they were egg ready? Ok, I'll keep it simple and just get layer. Thanks.
smile.png

Opa, the next Sam picture you use, could you make it bigger please?
gig.gif
Oh..........and could you also add him talking? I don't even care WHAT he says.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
So you are saying that when they use to run the commercial where he said "Beef it's whats for supper" you had a sudden urge to kill a cow?
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

lau.gif
No, I tell everyone to shut the heck up. Because after all.............he's speaking! I was really upset when they changed the Dodge Ram commercial and he no longer said "Conqueror of Chaos".
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom