Starter Feed Question!

bjerro

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
Portland, OR
Hi! I am getting my first set of chicks tomorrow and am going to give them Manna Pro medicated starter feed. Does anyone know if there are already probiotics in this type of food or should I be supplementing the girls' water with probiotic powder as well? Also, does anyone give probiotics to their adult chickens on a regular basis? Thanks for the help!

Hi! I am getting my first set of chicks tomorrow and am going to give them Manna Pro medicated starter feed. Does anyone know if there are already probiotics in this type of food or should I be supplementing the girls' water with probiotic powder as well? Also, does anyone give probiotics to their adult chickens on a regular basis? Thanks for the help!

I found the list of ingredients on their site: https://www.mannapro.com/products/poultry/chick-care/chick-starter-medicated

If you click the Nutrition & Feeding tab on that page, here is the list of ingredients in the food that Manna Pro starter feed you mentioned:

Corn, Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Corn Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, dl-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Dimethylprimidinol Bisulfite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Propionic Acid.

I don't know the names of the common probiotics, but perhaps this info will help someone who is more familiar answer your question.

Probiotics are fine if they're sick. If not sick, there's no need to treat.

I haven't given probiotics but I do ferment the girls feed.

I’ve used the sac-a-chick electrolytes for the first few days with baby chicks (quail and chickens). This is the packets you buy as a 3-pack strip with each pack that goes into a gallon of water. They also sell probiotics that can be added to the electrolyte mix. It seems only a few brands offer probiotics in their feed, in their higher-end (higher cost) feeds.

It seems more people focus on either not adding pro-biotic or using apple cider vinegar (with the mother culture) or using fermented feed.

Back
Top Bottom