Starter Feed VS Laying Mash ??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thirtyflowers, Apr 28, 2009.

1. thirtyflowers

thirtyflowers New Egg

Jul 19, 2008
    OK, I was comparing tags from my feed bags. My starter vs. layer, and all ingredients and guaranteed analysis is the same [​IMG]
    my starter did come from TSC and my laying mash comes from ADM. I have always purchased my layer from ADM I just found it to be a better product. But my local feed mill does not carry their starter.
    So my question is why am I paying a higher price for something labeled as a grower [​IMG] when it has same thing as what I am already buying for my layers [​IMG] ??????????????

2. TheBuff

TheBuff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    S.E. IOWA
    There are 2 kinds of starter, mediciated,non med, non mediciated is alot like layer, Mediciated has what chicks to battle sickeness when they are little. Eating chickens get non to grow faster for butcher.

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Layer feed also has way too much calcium for chicks. You will destroy their kidneys if you feed them layer feed. Get the chick starter or grower, depending on the age and how exposed to cocci they may be.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I really can't believe the guaranteed analysis is the same. TSC Dumor chick starter is like 20% protein for fast growing bodies and layer feed is only 16%.
    Chicks definitely need the higher protein and they don't need the calcium because they aren't laying eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by