Starter/grower/finisher

TheGamerMarcox3

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2020
Hey all! So I have four chickens (1 cockerel, 3 pullets, I believe they are all Welsummers ) that I've been feeding a starter/grower combo. Due to an unfortunate accident, one pullet (13.5 weeks) is almost 4 weeks older than the other three (10 weeks). I'm running low on grower/starter and someone at Tractor Supply told me that at their age they're supposed to be on grower/finisher. I noticed the grower/finisher has less protein than the starter/grower. Will this stunt their growth? Should I keep them all on the starter/grower combo? I couldn't find any that were just grower ):

Hey all! So I have four chickens (1 cockerel, 3 pullets, I believe they are all Welsummers ) that I've been feeding a starter/grower combo. Due to an unfortunate accident, one pullet (13.5 weeks) is almost 4 weeks older than the other three (10 weeks). I'm running low on grower/starter and someone at Tractor Supply told me that at their age they're supposed to be on grower/finisher. I noticed the grower/finisher has less protein than the starter/grower. Will this stunt their growth? Should I keep them all on the starter/grower combo? I couldn't find any that were just grower ):
I keep all my birds on a starter type feed for life. It offers 20% protein. I have multiple containers of calcium supplement out, both crushed egg shells and oyster shells.
Only active layers need the extra calcium. Males, chicks, hens taking a winter break, and pullets prior to point of lay do not need the extra calcium found in layer mixes.

I keep all my birds on a starter type feed for life. It offers 20% protein. I have multiple containers of calcium supplement out, both crushed egg shells and oyster shells.
Only active layers need the extra calcium. Males, chicks, hens taking a winter break, and pullets prior to point of lay do not need the extra calcium found in layer mixes.
Wait is finisher the same as layer?! I feel so lied to by the guy at Tractor Supply 😤

Wait is finisher the same as layer?! I feel so lied to by the guy at Tractor Supply 😤
No. Finisher is not the same as layer but that is the path you've been pointed down.
The primary difference is a gradual reduction in protein. Then a jump in calcium. The amount of protein that is found in most layer formulations only meets the bare minimum requirement. I prefer to feed a higher amount of protein than that.

No. Finisher is not the same as layer but that is the path you've been pointed down.
The primary difference is a gradual reduction in protein. Then a jump in calcium. The amount of protein that is found in most layer formulations only meets the bare minimum requirement. I prefer to feed a higher amount of protein than that.
So what do you think I should do? Should I return the bag of grower/finisher and go back to the starter mix? Or do you think they'll be fine on the finisher mix? I don't want to halt their growth since they're still fairly young /:

Finisher/grower has less protein to slow down their growth slightly, so they're not just sprinting into adulthood. That said... I'd feel comfortable with using starter OR grower at this point, so it's really up to you. I myself usually feed a sort of hybrid diet so my chicks are eating both starter as well as an all flock which is equivalent to a grower, from the start.

Finisher/grower has less protein to slow down their growth slightly, so they're not just sprinting into adulthood. That said... I'd feel comfortable with using starter OR grower at this point, so it's really up to you. I myself usually feed a sort of hybrid diet so my chicks are eating both starter as well as an all flock which is equivalent to a grower, from the start.
The visual of sprinting into adulthood has me ugly laughing lol! Thank you for the advice, I think I might just get another bag of starter and mix it into the grower/finisher :)

Back
Top Bottom