Starter/grower for laying hens?

Molliep2

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2018
Is it okay for laying hens to eat starter/grower feed? Currently feeding the penpals starter grower from a giveaway

ADM/ PenPal Start and Grow is medicated with Amprolium and Bacitracin but there is no withdraw date on eggs with these ingredients so its fine feeding it to your hen.

ADM/ PenPal Start and Grow is medicated with Amprolium and Bacitracin but there is no withdraw date on eggs with these ingredients so its fine feeding it to your hen.

I personally would not feed medicated feed to chickens long term as they don't need it, and amprolium is a thiamine inhibitor so they can become thiamine deficient over time (don't know what the other is).

I personally would not feed medicated feed to chickens long term as they don't need it, and amprolium is a thiamine inhibitor so they can become thiamine deficient over time (don't know what the other is).

If they are only feeding until they run out of the bag they will be fine.
Bacitracim /BMD is for the prevention and control of necrotic enteritis.

If they are only feeding until they run out of the bag they will be fine.
Bacitracim /BMD is for the prevention and control of necrotic enteritis.

Just mentioning it because some folks take "you can keep them on starter feed" to mean the same that all starter feeds are suitable as long term feed for all ages.

Thanks for the info about the bacitracim!

I've been feeding a Non-medicated Starter Grower 18% to my hens and Pullets older than 10 weeks for about 3 years with a separate container of Oyster Shells.
20201126_051320.jpg

I just opened a bag.
20210306_140229.jpg

GC

Back
Top Bottom