Starter grower pellet size

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
Hi! Just received my one day old baby chicks today-first chicks I’ve ever had! They are adorable… I have chick starter grower crumbles to feed them. But it appears the pellet sizes are a little large for them? It just didn’t seem like they were eating them. Should I be smashing it Smaller or do they smash it to eat it? If I should smash it for them, how long should I do this? Thank You!

Hi! Just received my one day old baby chicks today-first chicks I’ve ever had! They are adorable… I have chick starter grower crumbles to feed them. But it appears the pellet sizes are a little large for them? It just didn’t seem like they were eating them. Should I be smashing it Smaller or do they smash it to eat it? If I should smash it for them, how long should I do this? Thank You!
If it’s crumble they will get it. Just give them a day or two and you will see how fast they eat and the food disappears before your eyes. Just leave it down all the time free choice also and it really disappears. The first few days they are just learning what food smells like, looks like, and the basics like where it is. They will master it soon enough. Please don’t smash it to dust. That’s too much work. If you have them in your house it will already be so dusty as is! Good luck with them!

It wasn't fun at all... I use a mortar and pestle... but it was messy. I was so glad when they could eat it full-sized (around 3-weeks old)

Hi East TN neighbor! I had a Wyandotte chick recently who had some swallowing issues and I had to grind the chick starter for her to be able to consume it. I had an inexpensive Hamilton Beach coffee grinder that would grind it down in about 3 seconds. If you have to grind their starter down this method would save some time. Also, the size of the starter could vary quite a bit between brands and I have seen some bantams struggle eating the larger pieces for the first week. I would just make sure your chicks are able to get the food down and grind it only if they are having issues doing so.

Yes. But this is definitely a chick starter grower food. Smashing it is not too much fun, as you probably know! Lol
We’ve all had our worries about things. Don’t feel silly or as if we are laughing at you. Just with you. It’s newbie jitters. We’ve all been there and had questions and needed help. That’s what BYC is for. Welcome and glad to help!!!

Hi Eddie33! We r new to the area (and LOVE LOVE it) and new to chickens! Also LOVE LOVE it! Great idea about the coffee grinder! I was using a mortar and pestle but, as Yakitori pointed out...it is messy! The grinder will work better. And yes...I was thinking that about the brands and this one just seemed too large a pellet for the chicks. I will try the grinder for a couple days then see how they handle the pellet.
THANK YOU! Everyone...for your help! I knew I wouldn’t get through this without you guys! Hugs! :)

Back
Top Bottom