Brooding bantam and regular sized chicks together or separate?

hostile_chicken

Hatching
Jan 17, 2024
Hi, noob here! I’ve been doing research in anticipation of getting a mixed flock of 8 chicks in March/April. Im getting both bantam and regular sized chicks, which I’ve read can be fine together as adults but I’m finding mixed information on whether they should be in the same brooder.

Some seem to say they should be raised together, just make sure they have space, multiple feeders and good temps so they don’t crush under one heat plate. Other says separate them.

What do y'all think? Thanks for the help!

If it helps I’m planning on an Orpington, Ameraunca, 2 Polish, Silkie, 2 D’Uccle, and a Maran. Thanks so much!

I have heard the exact opposite of that. When they hatch, a chick's a chick pretty much. It's when they get older and they become an adult when the issues usually occur.

I may not be aware of some breed of baby chick that can't be put with others, but as long as they are all chickens, they should be fine. I've had a day-old silky with 3 speckled sussex that were 3 weeks old. Quite a difference in size but they all got along fine.

Attachments

• silkie and ss.jpg
    silkie and ss.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 7
I have heard the exact opposite of that. When they hatch, a chick's a chick pretty much. It's when they get older and they become an adult when the issues usually occur.

I may not be aware of some breed of baby chick that can't be put with others, but as long as they are all chickens, they should be fine. I've had a day-old silky with 3 speckled sussex that were 3 weeks old. Quite a difference in size but they all got along fine.
Your photo makes me feel better!

As for adults I’ve read that some have issues with adults, but others say their bantams are at the top of the pecking order and they have no problems. I’ve also read that less aggressive regular sized breeds help things (I think maybe I need to watch the Maran?) and that having lots of space and places to hide and roost can help.

i really appreciate your reply, I know I still have a lot to learn!

Your photo makes me feel better!

As for adults I’ve read that some have issues with adults, but others say their bantams are at the top of the pecking order and they have no problems. I’ve also read that less aggressive regular sized breeds help things (I think maybe I need to watch the Maran?) and that having lots of space and places to hide and roost can help.

i really appreciate your reply, I know I still have a lot to learn!
Welcome to BYC by the way! :frow

When chicks grow up together, they tend to get along better as adults. As they grow up, a bit of pecking, chest bumping, and a few squabbles is typical as roosters have to be boss, and there'll be a hen who thinks she's boss too. That "pecking order" has to be worked out amongst them. If you see any bullying behavior by any of them, you can put the aggressor in a time-out area/cage for a few days and see if that helps.

Usually, having places to hide is for when you're introducing like 3-month-old chicks to the coop with adults. Since these will all be adults around the same time, albeit the silkie I know is about two or more months behind most chickens, thus should just have room to roost away from each other if they don't like each other or if a few are afraid of others.

And when you write lots of space you really mean LOTS of space.
Do you mean in the coop/run or in the brooder? We’re building our coop now, which will be in a large predator-proof run (per city regulations).

But, we are planning on keeping the chicks in our second bathroom in the beginning—in our very large 100 year old claw foot old tub. We can move them to the basement when they get a little older and bigger if needed but it’s unheated and very cold and dark down there. I’m going to look more into brooder size requirements— the bathtub size gives us about 1 sqft. per chick. Maybe I need to rethink that setup.

Do you mean in the coop/run or in the brooder?
Coop/run.
we are planning on keeping the chicks in our second bathroom in the beginning—in our very large 100 year old claw foot old tub.
Aack!! You want to target 1 sq ft per chick up to 3 weeks then they need to move up to 2 sq ft. I ALWAYS recommend brooding directly in the coop. It is so much healthier for all involved.
PSA: chicks start flying at 2 weeks old and will fly out of the tub.
brooder size requirements
See above.

Aack!! You want to target 1 sq ft per chick up to 3 weeks then they need to move up to 2 sq ft. I ALWAYS recommend brooding directly in the coop. It is so much healthier for all involved.
PSA: chicks start flying at 2 weeks old and will fly out of the tub.

I see! Unfortunately we can’t brood in the coop because we don’t have electricity out there yet for a brooder plate (having it run before next winter to be able to have a heated water container but can’t in time for March/April chicks)

I had read at least 1 sqft. per chick, and the tub, which is absolutely enormous and deep (way bigger than a typical modern tub) would give them 1.5 sqft. each. We were going to make a mesh cover for it and it’s bigger than the plastic tubs, dog crates, etc see people recommend. The room it’s in sits at about 68-70 degrees and also keeps them very close while I work in the next room so I can keep an eye on them. But, if I put them in the basement I could probably make a bigger enclosure from something so maybe that’s the move! It’s typically only 50 degrees down there but it seems like with a brooder plate that might be ok? Should I get two plates?

Also, thank you for continuing to respond to my (probably annoying) noob questions. I have done a lot of reading but it’s nice to hear people’s lived experiences!

Hi, noob here! I’ve been doing research in anticipation of getting a mixed flock of 8 chicks in March/April. Im getting both bantam and regular sized chicks, which I’ve read can be fine together as adults but I’m finding mixed information on whether they should be in the same brooder.

Some seem to say they should be raised together, just make sure they have space, multiple feeders and good temps so they don’t crush under one heat plate. Other says separate them.

What do y'all think? Thanks for the help!

If it helps I’m planning on an Orpington, Ameraunca, 2 Polish, Silkie, 2 D’Uccle, and a Maran. Thanks so much!
I've always had assorted bantam and large fowl together with no problems, but if you get the bantams as day olds and they are tiny, you might want to throw your chick starter into the blender for a week or so to make it easier for the bantams to eat. I always do this and it seems to help.

Back
Top Bottom