Starter List - Anything missing? Tips?

Beccatrix

Songster
Nov 28, 2021
Wisconsin
Hey all! I have 5 weeks to go before our 4 ducklings and 2 goslings arrive. All female from Metzer.

We are ordering a 10x10 shed (we will insulate, vent, and line with wiring) and building a covered 50 sg ft run off one side and a covered 100 sq ft run off the other, with a 50 gallon stock tank for swimming. We'll bury fencing and or bury metal anti dig plates. We're planning on straw/deep litter method.

We have a 50 gallon stock tank for the first 2-3 weeks inside. Any ideas on what to expand to for weeks 3-8 inside would be appreciated (large kiddie pool if we build up the siding? The largest I can find is 19 sq ft, and I was hoping for 24).

We have an xpen for outside expeditions when old enough, and will supervise swim time.

I'll be starting some greens and dandelions next week. We'll also feed peas (should these be chopped early on)?

We have:

Several bags of pine chips to start
Feeder and waterer
Producer's Pride brooder plate that can radiate from the top and side
Mealworms
1st bag of waterfowl crumbles (20% protein)
Chick grit (after 8 weeks?)
Quack Snacks (after 8 weeks)

Strike Poultry Pellets (after 8 weeks)
Hydro-Hen
Hen Healer ointment
Blue-Kote
Corn starch
Vet Rx
Vetericyn Plus

I also have a list of additional things to put together yet for a first aid emergency kit, mostly taken off this site, and need to get some brewer's yeast. What are the early week must haves?

We did find an avian vet who is semi local as well.

Thanks for any and all tips! I did read and highlight Storey's. I feel less confident about the goslings.

Those geese are gonna grow like weeds, and will need grass daily. I use a kiddie pool, and upsize quickly. By 4 weeks they are ready for something even bigger. They also make a big mess too running around. I haven't brooded gosling with ducklings. I'd be afraid the more stronger and bigger goslings would run the ducklings over. Hopefully someone more familiar with mixing them can help.

I kept paper towels over the shavings for the first week to keep birds from eating them. For the goslings I used a dish with a lid with holes cut in the lid for drinking. They need to submerge their nostrils, but not be able to climb in the dish.

What breed of duckling? Sounds like fun. :)

Those geese are gonna grow like weeds, and will need grass daily. I use a kiddie pool, and upsize quickly. By 4 weeks they are ready for something even bigger. They also make a big mess too running around. I haven't brooded gosling with ducklings. I'd be afraid the more stronger and bigger goslings would run the ducklings over. Hopefully someone more familiar with mixing them can help.

I kept paper towels over the shavings for the first week to keep birds from eating them. For the goslings I used a dish with a lid with holes cut in the lid for drinking. They need to submerge their nostrils, but not be able to climb in the dish.

What breed of duckling? Sounds like fun. :)
Thanks! We're definitely open to separating them! I keep finding mixed info. We'd like them to live together as adults. Any recommendations on something bigger?

For grass, is outside grass sufficient or should I plan on growing something?

We're getting 2 Cayugas, 1 Buff, and 1 Blue Swedish for ducklings. For goslings, a Buff and a Pilgrim. I'm also looking into a small flock of separately kept quail.

Thanks! We're definitely open to separating them! I keep finding mixed info. We'd like them to live together as adults. Any recommendations on something bigger?

For grass, is outside grass sufficient or should I plan on growing something?

We're getting 2 Cayugas, 1 Buff, and 1 Blue Swedish for ducklings. For goslings, a Buff and a Pilgrim. I'm also looking into a small flock of separately kept quail.
I use my hand push mower to get mine grass. I was surprised how much they can eat and how excited they are for grass. I am always relieved when they can get out and get their own, well except for all the poop. :)

That's a nice assortment.

Back
Top Bottom