Starter or Layer?

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Hello, so this issue needs to be solved immediately before my birds finish their food. I have 11 two month old chicks, and I ran out of food. I asked my friend to get some food for me, I even told them the brand and they didn't get the right one. This was starter crumble, so I didn't feel comfortable using it. Also, these are all 50lb bags we're talking about. So, I asked my other friend who has chickens to get the food I wanted, and again, this person didn't get the right feed! This time it was layer crumble, but I don't know if they're old enough yet? Also, I have 2 roos. Now, they only have a tiny bit of feed left, and I checked the feed store and they didn't have the feed I needed! What should I use, the starter crumble or the layer crumble?

Okay, thanks! Layer is like 5 or 6 months, right?
Layer in my Opinion is when I see the first egg---some breeds start before others. If you will follow that----you want have no trouble. Instead of a sudden change I always mix the last bag of grower finisher with a bag of the layer, then layer from them on.

You can use the starter. It's usually just a higher protein. But if anyone is laying put out some oyster shell.
Many people with finish off their starter crumble that way. If you have a mixed age flock or a roo, you may want to use an all flock feed and provide oyster, so the non layers don't get too much calcium.

I see, thanks! I was thinking of giving it out on the first egg, but I wasn't sure. So, when I do switch to layer, I have the roos so I'll have to buy another bag of normal feed and distribute oyster too? I use chicken egg shells for my quail, would it be the same?

I see, thanks! I was thinking of giving it out on the first egg, but I wasn't sure. So, when I do switch to layer, I have the roos so I'll have to buy another bag of normal feed and distribute oyster too? I use chicken egg shells for my quail, would it be the same?
He can eat the same feed/layer as the rest without any problem.

Yes you can feed layer to the rooster. I do. Just some people may suggest you don't. With a smallish flock and just one coop/run it becomes difficult to try and seperate feeds.
Layer should have enough calcium, but you should provide oyster shell or crushed egg shells, as you suggest, just to make sure.
Put it in a seperate bowl, free choice. They will eat it if they need it. And the roo will probably ignore it once he checks it out.

I use a feed that's safe for the whole flock. Low calcium so roos and chicks can eat it, and high protein (20%) so chicks can get the protein they need. It costs a little bit more at Tractor Supply, but because of how easy it makes everything, for me it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom