Starting a coop build, it is my first build and first chickens so feedback is very welcome

Pics
:D:D:D it worked!
I bought another level. The floor is exactly level, not even off by half a bubble. At the door at least which is all I'm trying to fix now. The walls leaned but not as much as a few days ago when I last posted. So evidently they were still adjusting.

We drilled, then screwed in anchors. Then ratcheted it tight. It moved enough for the strap to get a little slack within an hour or so. We pulled a couple more clicks and the walls are straight and 90 degrees to the floor.

The doors now fit into the door frame, the top hook works easily, the latch fits perfectly. Only the bottom bolt doesn't quite fit - it is off by half the bolt rather than way off.

I fitted one diagonal in before dark. The rest will wait because there is no electricity in the building. It will be a lot easier in daylight.

That's terrific!

It worked until I eased the strap off. Evidently, the sticks were too flexible or the angle too far from 45 degrees or both. I tightened it back up and tried 2x8s between the studs, measured and cut as exactly as we could get them. That worked a little better. I tightened it back up and drove shims in. That worked better. It only caught a little on one battan. I tried sanding it. Then it brushed along much of the top of the door.

I put the strap back on and it was interesting getting the shims and 2 bys back out. Eventually managed it.

Then we screwed braces on 45 degree angles as wide as we could without blocking the door much.

Now, it works. It will be painted later.

Since these are the warmest days we can expect and we've had excessive rain lately, it should work the rest of the year too. The wood will not expand more than it is now.

Attachments

• 02BA7836-45B3-426D-BC89-0246BBB52321.jpeg
    02BA7836-45B3-426D-BC89-0246BBB52321.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Fence is up across the middle. It was an old fence - I think it has been used for at least two gardens, so it took some doing to get it up straight. It still needs a few finishing touches.

And today I put 1x4s up at a 45 degree angle on the top of the wall they have been sleeping on. So tonight I'm making sure to watch them put themselves to bed.

It already smells better in here - because I had only minimal bedding on the garden side. The plan is to let them have the floor space on the garden side at least some of the time. I'll have to figure out how to put enough bedding in there. Or pdz, or something. And not lose too much of it when the door is open.

Also still need to add the clutter, better feeders, and such. And the apron and hc over the eaves.

Names are still not sticking to the Australorps. They are finally beginning to look and act a bit more individually - I can usually tell who is who without looking at their leg bands. So hopefully names will stick now.

Attachments

• 67921D53-8561-4732-B6D0-DFD37DF734B6.jpeg
    67921D53-8561-4732-B6D0-DFD37DF734B6.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 0AE11864-B119-4A41-B589-7718433C6CE1.jpeg
    0AE11864-B119-4A41-B589-7718433C6CE1.jpeg
    320.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The australorps didn't try at all. I think they were getting big enough to be uncomfortable up there anyway.

Spice and Nutmeg gave it a good go. They each tried maybe a half dozen times. Twice one stayed up for maybe a half a minute or so before coming back down.

It is a good thing I put some care into setting up the boards. Dh thought just laying a board up there would be enough. Hm, No. It had a 2x2 tilted on wedges with the 1x4s nailed to it and through it to the beam. And smaller pieces behind the 1x4s so they couldn't hook toes over the top edge. And they still knocked one small piece down.

Once they gave up the top of the wall, they didn't fuss hardly at all on the roost. That might change once they resign themselves to sleeping on the roost.

Dh still wonders why I thought they need 8' of roost when they sleep on, like, less than 6 inches of it. :confused:

Silly chickens. Better than whats on tv these days though

Dh still wonders why I thought they need 8' of roost when they sleep on, like, less than 6 inches of it. :confused:
It depends where the roost is.
If they have to fly up to it, they need wing space to do so.
Also good for them to have some extra space for the shuffle that happens during the RoostTimeRunmble.

Yes. And I want them to have the option of spreading out. Just because they all like to bunch up now doesn't mean they always will.

Besides, it saved us a 2x4. Since it doesn't have stud walls, that was where the only vertical support post was.

They have also started hanging out on the poop board and roosts during the day and they spread out then. :confused: It doesn't seem to be to get away from each other - they all do it together. It might be cooler; it is the dog days of summer here now. I'm sure some of it is going up to watch the build progress. But am sure some of it is not that.

I like the exercise they get by going up and down. I don't mind the extra poop scooping. Is there any other reason they shouldn't be up there? I read a lot of posts of people sayjng their chickens don't eat the PDZ. Mine do, :(. I've read it won't hurt them even if they eat it but I don't like it much. I bought grit and made it easy for them to eat just in case my sandy/pebbly dirt in the dust bath wasn't enough and they were eating the PDZ as an attempt to get grit.They ate just a tiny bit of the grit - I know they found it but they didn't seem short of it. It could be scratch/peck instinct?? They don't have outside but they have dirt scratching and bug hunting all the time. and fresh greens most days. Maybe they just want scratch/peck and cooler at the same time.:confused:

Interesting. They started to roost much sooner tonight (by light level, not time). They spent far more time looking at all the walls than they did last night. No one tried even once to fry to the top of the walls. There was minimal fussing for position.

I thought of an alternative to a 2x4 to hold the free edge of the wire wall. I had a piece of high tensile wire already close to right size. I put it up tight enough to make a straight edge. Then wired the fence to it. It worked, the fence is now almost straight ( it still bows a little in the middle), certainly straight enough. And the edge is stiff enough.

I'm not sure it was worth it. I saved the price of the 2x4 but it took a lot more wire than I thought it would to attach the fence to the high tensile - might have cost more than I saved, in worth. I had the wire; don't remember how much it cost. Anyway, I first thought to clip sections and wire it at each cross. I didn't like all the ends potentially poking. So coiled it tight.

Back
Top Bottom