1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Starting a Flock, Question About Sellers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by melaniemariecl, Mar 8, 2013.

1. melaniemariecl

melaniemariecl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Hello, I'm sorry if this question is miscategorized. I just joined this group and I'm unsure where to post this question.

I am going to start my flock this spring. I live in a very rural/Amish area. There are many occasions to buy birds at county fairs. I'm wondering if a county fair is really a good place to buy or if hatcheries are best, I am looking to have at least 2 that are egg laying age. I am only looking to start with 5, I have a coop for 10-12. I am looking for egg layers and for family friendly birds. I plan to free-range them and keep them organic.

Thanks!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Depending on your area some people might actually enter hatchery stock into county fairs. If your just looking for egg layers then hatchery stock will probably be fine for your situation. However if you're looking for better quality birds then you might try going through a breeder.

3. melaniemariecl

melaniemariecl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2013
    Better quality birds in what respect? I want them to be healthy and I want them to be easily socialized with my kids and myself...I want healthy producers.

Thanks for your response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by