Running Fodder gain tracker

Xp1
jar weight-776 g
jar w/ seed- 814 g
seed weight- 38 g
jar w/ fodder last day -973 g
Fodder weight- 197 g
fodder weight minus seed weight =159g total gain

XP2 forgot to weigh (sorry lots of snow removal that day)

XP3
jar weight- 776g
jar w/ seed- 815g
seed weight- 39g
jar w/ fodder last day - 1.036 kg
Fodder weight- 260g
fodder weight minus seed weight = 221g total gain

==================================

BTW my chickens came running this morning they love this stuff. they definitely are eating a little less store feed now as well.

They do eat less feed and mine defiantly are drinking less water as there is lots of water in the fodder. Mine is much more dense grown in trays with lots of grains, much harder to chop up. I am feeding a lot of fodder so I wait till around 11:00 am to feed so they fill up on there regular chicken feed otherwise they would just eat fodder. I wade through 75 chickens wanting fodder bad they do there best to trip me.

They do eat less feed and mine defiantly are drinking less water as there is lots of water in the fodder. Mine is much more dense grown in trays with lots of grains, much harder to chop up. I am feeding a lot of fodder so I wait till around 11:00 am to feed so they fill up on there regular chicken feed otherwise they would just eat fodder. I wade through 75 chickens wanting fodder bad they do there best to trip me.

hmmm never thought of the fact that fodder would give them water as well. i might want to feed half in morning and half in evening to help with water. my water freezes and i already go out a couple times a day to make sure they have drinkable water. be good peace of mind knowing they are getting help with hydration from fodder.

Mine drink less water when I feed fodder treats...much less water when there's snow on the ground.

i noticed they will eat the snow but when its freezing or negative numbers i get a little nervous cause in my thinking they have to melt that snow internally so potentialy it could drop the core temperature which is kinda counter productive to keeping warm, as well as useing excess calories maybe? idk all i know is my chickens eat snow and are fine but in extremes i like the fact that they have water in the snack as well. if that makes any sense XD

Any idea as to which grains/seeds/legumes are best to grow for fodder? I have been doing this for a few months and I have just been doing it somewhat random. I grow some wheat, then some lentils, then some millet/sunflower birdseed, then some peas. I just ordered barley so that will be added to the mix. I haven't come across a list of which are the most nutritious. Anyone know if there is a list somewhere with that kind of information?

i noticed they will eat the snow but when its freezing or negative numbers i get a little nervous cause in my thinking they have to melt that snow internally so potentialy it could drop the core temperature which is kinda counter productive to keeping warm, as well as useing excess calories maybe?
I can't stop them from eating it, unless I lock them in the coop all winter, has caused many a frostbitten wattle here.

Any idea as to which grains/seeds/legumes are best to grow for fodder? I have been doing this for a few months and I have just been doing it somewhat random. I grow some wheat, then some lentils, then some millet/sunflower birdseed, then some peas. I just ordered barley so that will be added to the mix. I haven't come across a list of which are the most nutritious. Anyone know if there is a list somewhere with that kind of information?
if anyone else has any good nutrition info links please share them heres a couple interesting links

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/livestock/feeding-value-of-sprouted-grains
http://fodder.nz/technical-and-supp...-feed-values-the-nutritional-value-of-fodder/

23/Jan/2019

-Evening updates-

XP4(day6)
*Rinse*
*Drain*
(seed progression)
IMG_20190123_232607.jpg

XP5(day5)
*Rinse*
*Drain*
(seed progression)
IMG_20190123_232652.jpg

XP6(day4)
*Rinse*
*Drain*
(seed progression)
IMG_20190123_232750.jpg

I remember someone mentioned that barley fodder is good in winter. unfortunately I cannot find that post.

Back
Top Bottom