Starting a show flock....opinions please.

Dirty Blonde

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Marshfield, WI
My daughter has taken a serious interest in showing chickens.
big_smile.png
I have no problem getting her a nice show flock, but I need some advice before I go all chicken crazy!

We have pretty much decided on Cochins, but now we are debating LF Cochins or Bantam Cochins. Pros/cons?

We would like to get some nice hatching eggs and later buy some young stock from a reputable breeder. We cannot come to a decision as to the color we want to go with. I adore the Columbians, but they are pretty hard to find. She likes the Splashes, which seem to be easier to find. Is "splash" a color or a pattern? If anyone could give me some examples I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way!
smile.png

Id go with bantams because they eat less, and you can own more
big_smile.png
! If your daughter likes the splash color I would suggest getting started in b/b/s (blue, black,splash) you can keep all of those colors together and still get pure colors.

apc, can you tell me more? Or point me to a website that has more info? Sorry, I don't know much about poultry genetics. Now Percheron horses, I'm your girl. LOL

Splash is the homozygous state of the blue gene (Bl/Bl); blue is the heterozygous state (Bl/bl+); black is not diluted by the blue gene (bl+/bl+).

There is that enough genetic-ese for you
wink.png

How old is your daughter? Maybe you can raise large fowl and she can raise bantams? (or vice versa). I do not know about large fowl, but splash is not recognised for bantam cochins. However is she breeds blues, she will get some splash. Much better to start with a recognised colour.

This forum is amazing! Thank you so much!

I was thinking about having bantams and LF, but I don't know if I will have the facilities to keep them separated yet. We are still working on that!
smile.png
(Think mother/daughter scheming!)

Can anyone chime in and tell me what colors are recognized and if it varies by LF and Bantam? I'm sorry for all the silly questions.
big_smile.png

Ive heard for show (here at least) that splash is "undesirable" for show (for both lf and bantam). It is however my favorite color in birds and I own many in this color.
smile.png
I also think it is harder to get the color "right". Not to say that one cannot show this color is just cannot win best of show ect...
But since she is starting out, Id let her get what she wants
smile.png
I think bantams are less intimidating, and easier for kids to work with. Also check out mottled cochins! Another fantastic color!

Back
Top Bottom