Starting Chicks in Cold Weather OK or wait till Spring?

Allenwpax

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2019
Hi Guys,

We are new to chickens, we have a small coup and run with two silky hens. They are very docile and sweet dispositioned. One of the hens has gone broody. I was thinking it would be really neat to put a couple of fertilized eggs under her and let her hatch and raise them. I have a couple concerns, one is cold weather is starting now, we expect lows in the 30's soon, colder in Dec and Jan. Also the eggs would be from a friend and they would not be silky but a larger breed. Should I wait for warmer weather to do this or is it fine to go ahead now? Any issue with having a larger breed mixed in?

Thanks,
Allen

Hi Guys,

We are new to chickens, we have a small coup and run with two silky hens. They are very docile and sweet dispositioned. One of the hens has gone broody. I was thinking it would be really neat to put a couple of fertilized eggs under her and let her hatch and raise them. I have a couple concerns, one is cold weather is starting now, we expect lows in the 30's soon, colder in Dec and Jan. Also the eggs would be from a friend and they would not be silky but a larger breed. Should I wait for warmer weather to do this or is it fine to go ahead now? Any issue with having a larger breed mixed in?

Thanks,
Allen
There is no issue having her raise a small number LF chicks into the flock. However, she will need to be able to keep them warm until they are fully feathered.
I personally wouldn't do for 3 reasons.
One, it's going to get too cold too soon for a first time bantam broody to raise LF chicks.
Two, I've found it more difficult to rehome males in the cold months.
And, three, you wrote "small coop and run". You need space to grow a flock.

Broody hens are excellent mothers. They will care for the chicks, all you need to do is provide them with a separate area with adequate shelter and chick food (mama eats chick food right along with them since she’s not laying and doesn’t need the extra calcium). She will keep them warm, I would suggest not giving her more than you think she can keep warm at the same time. But chicks raised by a broody are way tougher than brooder chicks; they rarely get pasty butt or coccidiosis- and they are able to forage and be outside right from the beginning. Also keep in mind that you need to have a plan for roosters - you will probably get a few or possibly all of them could be roosters.

Back
Top Bottom