Starting Fresh

DratzDurpen

Chirping
Apr 14, 2018
So since I just lost my flock to a coon I decided to order more chicks. While they are in the broader I can do my modifications to the coop to secure it better.

I never ordered from a hatchery before and I'm shocked at just how expensive the minimum order of 15 are! But I'm buying these with my birthday money so they are gifts to myself.

I decided to order 1 of each of the following pullets

Buff laced Polish
Golden Polish
Light Brahma
Silver Polish
Salmon Faverolle
Spitzhauben
Speckled Sussex

Then I ordered from two groups of indexed birds, getting four from each.

Silver Lakenvelder
Turken

Now for 20 cents per chick I can have them vaccinated for Cocci, which I have chosen, but should I also have them vaccinated for Mareks for an extra 20 cents each?? I've never had Mareks before or known that I've had it.

So since I just lost my flock to a coon I decided to order more chicks. While they are in the broader I can do my modifications to the coop to secure it better.

I never ordered from a hatchery before and I'm shocked at just how expensive the minimum order of 15 are! But I'm buying these with my birthday money so they are gifts to myself.

I decided to order 1 of each of the following pullets

Buff laced Polish
Golden Polish
Light Brahma
Silver Polish
Salmon Faverolle
Spitzhauben
Speckled Sussex

Then I ordered from two groups of indexed birds, getting four from each.

Silver Lakenvelder
Turken

Now for 20 cents per chick I can have them vaccinated for Cocci, which I have chosen, but should I also have them vaccinated for Mareks for an extra 20 cents each?? I've never had Mareks before or known that I've had it.

I would vaccinate.
Can you please post several pictures of your coon raided coop and provide dimensions? It needs to be properly secured before you use it for your new flock.
Didn't you just lose 6 birds? And now you are getting 15!? :eek:

I would vaccinate.
Can you please post several pictures of your coon raided coop and provide dimensions? It needs to be properly secured before you use it for your new flock.
Didn't you just lose 6 birds? And now you are getting 15!? :eek:

I'll get dimensions when I get home but let me see if I can get a picture of the coop and the run.

ObkS8CT.jpg
20180502_150641.jpg

Hubby says the coop is 8 x 8 x 6. The run is open at the top to include the two trees. That cant be covered. I used around 300+ feet of fencing to do it.

Back
Top Bottom