Starting from scratch

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by AceODST, Nov 20, 2014.

1. AceODST

AceODST Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2013
    Hi!

I've been traveling for school and family and had to sell off my flock, I do still have the coops, though. I was gifted (to put it kindly) my first chickens and moved on to ducks having realized my hobby could be slightly more profitable. So I was getting my chicks with my ducklings in the mail (from Cackle, best prices I've found and very sturdy/healthy babies) and would like to again but my hatchery doesn't mail out until February. I can raise them indoors and would like to get a head start for next spring so,

Does anybody know great hatcheries that distribute year round?

At the same time I'm looking for new breeds to work with, but I also have had good luck with my Americaunas, Orpington/Australorps (My head cheese buff Orp. rooster died nobly defending the flock in September) and Rhode Island Red and Whites. I am looking for a large brown or blue/green egg laying that matures or feathers quickly and is cold hardy.

That being said I like to keep costs down and am very open-minded. Possibly to even other species of poultry.

Thanks,
    Nathalie

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    I use Meyer since it's the closest and I've always gotten good stock. I'm pretty sure they ship year round and have a good selection.

3. Greywolf1962

Greywolf1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Huntsville, Tx.
    I know Ideal ships some birds all year, depends what breeds you want. Purely Poultry also ships all year, but again depends on the breed.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Ideal Poultry ships all year, although some breeds won't be available this late in the year. I've used Ideal on a number of occasions over the years and have been very happy with their birds and service. Good luck in getting your birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by