Starting Over

No, they were done free at the state lab in San Bernardino. Results were, basically, they starved to death, with food all over the place. They either couldn't or wouldn't eat whatever they formulated with.

Mine didn't seem to have any problem eating it. It did not have any bad smell to it. So good that it was free. I sent you a e-mail.

Thanks

As far as I know Star and brookhurst are totally separate. Have mainly used the Star mill Ace HI line for my turkeys and never had a problem.

You are much calmer than I would be if bad feed killed off a bunch of my breeders. I feel for you. The least the feed company can do is give full recompensation for your loss. Hopefully you can find some started poults to jump start your pens.

Quote:
I use to get free food from Star Milling years ago. I still know some people who work there.

Thats what is so strange about this. I have birds from this years hatch in the same pen with the ones that died. Anywhere from 6 weeks old to 5 months. Even a few just under a year. The ones that died where all over a year or more. It did not touch the young. If it was a disease the young would die first. There was no symptoms, and now it is over. I guess the big ones just ate more.

I called the State Lab. Very nice people. They said it would have been better if I did not freeze them but the smell and I was not home when half of them died so I asked for them to be put in the freezer. We are taking them in on Monday. The food samples too will be tested.

I am not calm at all. This has been really hard on me. I can only think about it is small increments, then I have to destract myself. I hate going outside and see them all gone. I am very lucky I do have replacements and do not have to go to outside sources to get them. I almost sold a bunch too. I was just waiting to see these grow up more.

Quote:
Forgive me if someone already mentioned this? Lets not forget the problem with dog and cat food a few years back and all the losses associated with that. There is a huge company that denied their food being contaminated, but I had two (very vigorous indoor) cats die of the exact symptoms a month or so before the big announcement of contamination. I think back to the cat meowing at me and looking at the food and how they lost weight but ate it rather than starve . . . I had no idea what was up until it was too late. It makes me sad still to think of it -- especially since I went to the trouble of feeding them "premium" food. I am so sorry for your losses. Please do follow up as you can.

There is a little bit of guilt you feel like you should have seen the signs. But I didn't do anything wrong, they did. It might have been a mistake. But there is a reason the bags did not get a date stamped on them. I think they new these bags where bad and they where shipped to my feed store anyway. For that I am angry.

Food problems happen more than we like to think. It seems to happen in pet food alot. I know it has happen in horse feed too. Moldy corn poisoning and botulism seem to be common.

Sorry for your kittys.

Quote:
Im so sorry but with your documentation they shouls compensate you for every death-how old were the birds? Again so sorry-and congrats at the same time!

Im so sorry but with your documentation they shouls compensate you for every death-how old were the birds? Again so sorry-and congrats at the same time!

Th youngest ones where from the spring of 2009. The oldest one was maybe 4 years old. A pretty big range in age but no birds younger than a year. Mostly prime breeding age.

By the way the first poult today has hatched. It looks like a Palm. Maybe a brown or blue palm. The other are getting buzy. Looks like it will be a good hatch.​

Quote:
Th youngest ones where from the spring of 2009. The oldest one was maybe 4 years old. A pretty big range in age but no birds younger than a year. Mostly prime breeding age.

By the way the first poult today has hatched. It looks like a Palm. Maybe a brown or blue palm. The other are getting buzy. Looks like it will be a good hatch.

I do hope you get your money or tell them youll go elsewhere! Unless you live in an area like me and would have no choice unless you want to drive 2 hours!

Back
Top Bottom