Starting Over

Tunastopper

Chillin' With My Peeps
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
This morning I woke up to the sound of hatching baby turkeys. So far 8 peeps. Ones I marked who the eggs where from, where from hens that died. The kid at my feed store wanted to buy them. I told him I won't be selling them now.

Last edited:
Ultimately, the manufacturer. (Assuming it was their feed that was the problem) If you help them identify a potentially bad batch of feed, you are helping them prevent a larger problem, and possibly a larger lawsuit. It is well within reason to ask the manufacturer to replace you lost flock.

In other news: congrats on the new babies!

So terribly sorry for the loss! I would contact the local extension service and see if they have any advice on how to go about the pursuit for compensation. Also, if you haven't already, document the events around the death of the birds carefully and meticulously including receipts for the feed that caused the tragedy.
I believe the manufacturer is liable for the safety of the product they sell; however, they might try to blame someone else such as either the feed store or yourself for poor handling of the product. In any case, act on it quickly. If you run into problems with the manufacturer, I’m sure an attorney can give you advice or even help. Of course that route might become costly in no time. Whatever you decide, I hope that you will find closure in one form or another.

Would you mind sharing with us what type and brand of feed caused all this?

I have photos and turkeys in my deep freeze. Samples of both bags of feed. I have recepts of my whole year and more of feed. I spend close to $40,000 at that feed store a year.

Last edited:
With your buying record, the feed store should be compelled to assist you here!
I ran a quick Google search on Universal Feed but came up with nothing. They are either too small to have a web presence or I'm missing something here. I also read through your initial post and the whole thing does sound fishy in terms of the missing date on those bags and the statements made from your feed store.
If you can, get that bird in the freezer to a lab for a necropsy. The AG Extension service in your area should be able to help you on that. The results could be crucial in your search for answers.

40,000 Dollars!!! WOW
ep.gif

If I spent that much in a feed store, my wife would put me in the oven! You are obviously spending it on more than turkeys.
You are a big client and I would demand action or take my future business elsewhere. They will jump.

If you said the feed didn't look like the normal crumbles. Didn't this raise some flags in your mind? Especially the greasy feel. I know all about 20/20 hindsite, but I'd never have given it to the birds and taken it back immediately.

You might want to have the manufacturer examine it for poison. A disgruntled employee somewhere down the line may have planted the bags in a lot to cause havoc. We live in very odd and dangerous times.
sad.png

Sorry for your loss, but hopefully this lesson will make us all more vigilant.

I did a little search myself using the address on the tag. It looks like Western Milling makes both Kruse and Universal feeds. http://www.westernmilling.com/ It is sold in California, Arizona, Nevada and the Pacific Rim.

Quote:
I buy alot of bags. Sometimes you will see some changes in the feed like scratch in with your lay pellets.

Last edited:
I got some bad feed, chick starter from Brookhurst Mill, Riverside. Lost a alot of valuable chicks. We waltzed around for about a month or six weeks, and they cut me a check for $600, the amt I asked for. There were necropsies, samples of the feed saved and sent back to Brookhurst, etc... Never admitted exactly what was wrong but I think they substituted corn glutten for some other ingredient and it killed my chicks.

Quote:
Did you have to pay for the necropsies? Did they do it? Is Brookhurts Mill the same as Star Milling?

Back
Top Bottom