Starting seeds in a greenhouse anyone?

3riverschick those were some amazing questions and you are very knowledgeable lazy gardener!
smile.png
And wow newfoundland I didnt know that the seeds would grow that fast after being taken out of the pepper!

My wife and I have a portable one thata you put together. We will have seeds starting soon in it. We try and do some tomato as well as beans and peppers.

Hello! I have a greenhouse. I start my seeds indoors under a grow light until they sprout. It's been unusually cold here in Maryland, so I have only recently been able to get the seedlings out into the greenhouse during the day (but I bring them back in at night since the temps still get really low). I let my spinach, collards, peas and lettuce stay in the greenhouse overnight since they are more cold loving. But the peppers, tomatoes and other heat-loving plants I don't think would fare well...yet. But it's starting to get much warmer now...so hopefully I don't have to keep playing musical plants for much longer.

Here's an old thread from my gardening blog if you want to see my greenhouse (it has shelves in it now):

http://fatearth.blogspot.com/2012/05/its-gettin-hot-in-here.html

Just scroll down past the first portion.

In my garden this year I will have: watermelons, lettuce, radishes, sweet peppers, hot peppers, arugula, collards, spinach, onions, potatoes, many varieties of tomatoes, okra, basil, oregano, rosemary, sugar snap peas, bush beans, kohlrabi and broccoli (at least that's what I remember right now). I have a 300 square foot garden and a couple of raised beds in my back yard. I use a lot of space saving techniques to fit it all in.

So..that's what I've got growing!!

divagardener,
got a similar list myself. how are you managing the heat of the greenhouse? also do you rotate stuff in or get it all out at once?

I have been starting seeds inside about every 2 weeks. got a good deck of sprouts in the tray and move it to greenhouse and start a new batch of seeds.

starting under t5. better start this time.
a3ebunuq.jpg

domes not as well
da9aqe8y.jpg

4uruve7a.jpg

The two trays were on top of the domes and were directly under the lights.

divagardener,
got a similar list myself. how are you managing the heat of the greenhouse? also do you rotate stuff in or get it all out at once?

I have been starting seeds inside about every 2 weeks. got a good deck of sprouts in the tray and move it to greenhouse and start a new batch of seeds.
Bustedchicks,

My greenhouse only gets to about 80 degrees during the day right now. So I don't really have to manage the heat because the plants love it. By the heat of summer, everything is in the gardens so the greenhouse stays empty. This is the first year that I will be doing succession planting because I want to have enough to can for the winter. I start my seeds indoors under the one grow light I have. Once they've sprouted, I take them out to the greenhouse during the day, but bring them back in at night. My greenhouse is heated naturally so it's still a little too cold at night to let every plants other than my cool weather crops stay out overight.

For managing temps, I can open the top part of the door and let air in, there is also a window vent that I can open as well.

Back
Top Bottom