Starting seeds in a greenhouse anyone?

Wow divagardener and bustedchicks you guys have a lot of good info.
smile.png

Im building a green house now. It will be 16 x 40. I guess its called a hoop house. I have it all framed up just needing to get the plastic and door on ot and im done.

Hello, I also start my seeds inside the house. It is my first year ever growing anything. I am more into flowers, started some for my wife's flower garden. So far so good. Just waiting for the snow to go away. I also have Coffee plants, Lemon, Some herbs, Apple, Pear and a Banana Tree. None of them are very Big yet. Kinda of a new Winter hobby of mine. Good luck growing.

I live in central Va.I have been planting my own seeds for many years.I Had a sun shed my DH and son-in law built 15 plus years ago.that has more or less turned into a storage area for chicken feed.So this year I purchased a 6x12 greenhouse.I have over a hundred tomato plants growing.Squash,cucmbers.peppers,all sorts of herbs and flowers.all my shelves are full.I have a small heater I use to keep them warm on frosty nights and during the day I open the vents and have a box fan for air circulation.i love planting seeds and growing my own plants.with raising my hens and playing in the greenhouse.I am satisfied to hang out at home.

This year I wanted to get a head start on the garden. I was too eager to wait! And I accidentally went a bit overboard lol. First it started with tomatoes. I did most in jiffy-cubes with a humidity dome. After they sprouted I put them in the bay window in my house to soak up some natural light. Currently I have so many and they grew so fast that I already had to transplant them into bigger jiffy pots and its looking like another transplanting may be necessary before they go in the garden. I've been hardening them outside when the weather is nice. And had to move a lot of them in my basement under a grow light because I used up all the window space! The last frost isn't supposed to be until May, so itll be awhile before my tomatoes are outside for good.

Then I did peppers, onions, kale, eggplant, ginger, basil, cilantro and an assortment of "cut" flowers the exact same way. My house is overflowing with plant life and I can't say I hate it. It's overwhelming to take care of so many inside plants though. Daily watering and feeding takes a lot of time out of my morning routine. It'll be worth it though once my garden is overflowing with goodness. Its times like this when I think of investing in a greenhouse.

I completely understand your desire for a green house. I had one, turned it into a turkey coop when the plastic aged and cracked. Last week I bought a little greenhouse--off to set it up and se if it will be durable enough for outside use!!

You might look around for the kits on sale right now.

Back
Top Bottom