starting to get really ticked off....

Not asking about the crowding in a threatening way. I do not think anyone is implying you are abusing the animals. It just gives everyone a better idea what the issues are to fix them if we know if they are overcrowded. Do they have roosts? How much square feet is the coop? How are the predators getting in?

You may want to invest in an automatic door. Before i close up my big coop at night, all the hens crowd in the corner furthest from the door for protection. This might be your issue considering the previous predators.

Not asking about the crowding in a threatening way. I do not think anyone is implying you are abusing the animals. It just gives everyone a better idea what the issues are to fix them if we know if they are overcrowded. Do they have roosts? How much square feet is the coop? How are the predators getting in?

Can't remember the exact footage, but it's more than ample. I want to say something like 120sq ft. Last time I measured I could fit in 50-60 birds with no crowding issues. I have about 20ish birds now. 2 more found dead this morning.

qaJxeth.jpg

They are crowding in the corner to the right.

tAYiiW2.jpg

No predators are getting in.

Another thing is the width of the roosts, they look pretty thin to me. You might want to consider something wider, like a 2x4 flat side up, or a round 3-4" branch.

I'm not too worried about the roosts. They aren't much different than what they are used to and the other birds use them fine.
5hq2b66.jpg

I'd take down that farm fence partition if it isn't serving a purpose. It might be damming up the flow, especially in the dark when poultry have very little sight. Any broken necks? You don't have predators you can see. Rats are a huge problem for me thanks to all my livestock feed. They wiggle through the smallest of openings can grab hens, then break their necks or smother them trying to pull them back through their tiny hole or crack.

How many turkeys and how many chickens? You might be maxed out on space based on your turkey numbers.

I'd take down that farm fence partition if it isn't serving a purpose. It might be damming up the flow, especially in the dark when poultry have very little sight. Any broken necks? You don't have predators you can see. Rats are a huge problem for me thanks to all my livestock feed. They wiggle through the smallest of openings can grab hens, then break their necks or smother them trying to pull them back through their tiny hole or crack.

How many turkeys and how many chickens? You might be maxed out on space based on your turkey numbers.

The wooden fence? They don't go out that way. I'll get some better pics and show the set up. I had 4 young turkeys and probably 30ish chickens. Lost a total of 10 birds within the last month. No broken necks. No bite marks. They free range on over 2 acres with a creek. They only go in the coop at night.

This seems mystifying. Just a thought. You said the birds are fine outside but deaths are occurring inside the coop? Was the coop used for anything before poultry? Storing paints or farm equipment that might have leaked oil or something? Barring this I would suspect they are piling on each other instead of roosting.

2x4's wide side up make for much more comfortable roosts, especially if you live in a cold climate, more comfortable = more likely to be used.

They look to be about 6 -7, lets say 8 feet long so about 32 feet...good for about 32 chickens.

There's no way I'd put 50-60 chickens in 120 sq ft....I mean you can try to fit them in there, but you'll more than likely have problems.

You got a lot of chickens lost some and then got more lost some and then got more....might be you brought in some kind of disease?

JMO.

Back
Top Bottom