Starting to panic. Straw safe or not?

Jun 7, 2022
Starting to panic a bit - can chickens have straw in their coop?

Hope this isn’t a stupid question.

I was worried they were too cold in their coop (it’s getting down to 21f, and we are in a normally hot climate so they are not used to this) so I just added a good layer of chopped straw on top of their pine shavings to help keep them insulated and warm. Some of them started pecking it and eating it, and now I’m worried they are going to get impacted crops at 11:00 at night. 🫣🙃 I suspect I had a hen get an impacted crop over the summer from straw (she’s prone to crop issues anyway, it might not have been the straw) so I stopped using it until now, and I’m majorly second guessing my decision.

They have free choice grit available.

Do I need to take the straw out?

Many people use straw. I don’t so cannot speak to them eating it, but it is commonly used as bedding.
Think you will be OK.
Thank you. I hope it will be alright. I’m just trying to do what’s best for my babies.

So hard to find a definitive answer for anything, everyone has so many different opinions on these topics - google doesn’t help!

Straw is fine, and often contains leftover bits of the grain it comes from.

Chickens often sample bits of everything they encounter to figure out what is and isn't good to eat. This is one of the reasons that they need to be supplied with grit either naturally from the ground in their run/ranging area or artificially by us. :)

The only real issue with straw is that if it gets damp it tends to pack, mat, and develop anaerobic pockets -- which stink. Keeping it dry and well-fluffed up prevents this.

Starting to panic a bit - can chickens have straw in their coop?

Hope this isn’t a stupid question.

I was worried they were too cold in their coop (it’s getting down to 21f, and we are in a normally hot climate so they are not used to this) so I just added a good layer of chopped straw on top of their pine shavings to help keep them insulated and warm. Some of them started pecking it and eating it, and now I’m worried they are going to get impacted crops at 11:00 at night. 🫣🙃 I suspect I had a hen get an impacted crop over the summer from straw (she’s prone to crop issues anyway, it might not have been the straw) so I stopped using it until now, and I’m majorly second guessing my decision.

They have free choice grit available.

Do I need to take the straw out?
I think it's much safer with straw or hay then pine shavings. It is full of seeds and a natural livestock food. I'm much more anxious about my chicks eating the pine shavings that are in their brooder and can't wait till they are in their coop, which is full of straw!

Is straw safe for baby chicks? Straw is all I have and we are picking up our chicks this afternoon. Wondering if I should buy some shavings?
you could always keep them on paper towels for a week or so, then switch over to straw or pine shavings. That gives them a solid week to understand that food is for eating, then you could put them on straw or shavings, but be sure to add some chick grit when you do.

Is straw safe for baby chicks? Straw is all I have and we are picking up our chicks this afternoon. Wondering if I should buy some shavings?

I use straw under shavings for my chicks, especially in the winter.

Straw is the traditional animal bedding over the centuries and it still works, just requiring more maintenance than shavings.

I always start my chicks on paper towels for 3-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom