Starting to panic ***Update pg 2 and pics of NEW Show Girl!!!!

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
So I got the 1588 Genesis hoverbator to use as my hatcher. My first batch was my very special SG eggs that went in on the 18th day from my RCom 20 to the new bator. I had it running for 2 days before hand to make sure humidity and temp was right.

The box said to trust that it was calibrated right and to not adjust the temperature until after a few hatches. My Springfield thermometer is reading 98.8 and 71 humidity. I have not heard a peep yet and it is day 21. I am hoping that my digital thermometer is off and that the bator is right but now with no action yet I am starting to panic!!!

Are the genesis 1588 really set to the right temp, could my digital thermometer be the one that is off? Will the temp of 98.8 just slow down my hatching so that maybe they will come out on day 22?

Last edited:
I dont think Id be worried about the 98.8 temp as much as the 71 percent humidity. I think thats a bit high. Ive had more problems with hatching with the humidity too high than not high enough.

I've got the 1588, and recall the instructions saying not to adjust or second guess the temp setting until at least your first hatch or 2--they are that sure of their settings-- so I wouldn't be too concerned about the incubator (unless you bought it second hand, or it was damaged in shipping, of course). Either way-- at day 21 you're at the end of the incubation and any changes aren't going to really matter at this point.

Digital and other thermometers are notoriously incorrect-- so dont' worry. If it's reading 98.8 you're close enough anyhow-- just sit and wait. Be sure you've got your day count correct, and that you don't open the incubator at all, no matter what-- dropping temps can delay the hatch. Wait and see what happens, give it a couple days and see what happens.
fl.gif

Edited to add-- I agree with the above poster--- humidity is more of an issue. Looking back at my first year of hatching (last year) I know that must be why my hatches were less than optimal.

Last edited:
I've had really good luck with my 1588 and I hatch at 80% humidity in it with some of my best hatch rates. Where your humidity needs to be depends a lot on your elevation.

If it is reading 98 or so, don't panic yet- you can still have a good hatch. Off by a degree or so will make them hatch a little later by a day or two at times. I've had chicks pip and hatch on days 24 and 25.

I agree, chances are, your bator is set right, my 1588 was right on and I have never had to adjust it. Humidity can screw things up though. 50% the first 18 days, and now 70% might have been too high. I know it depends on your home, area, etc. I keep mine in the 35-45 range, I try to keep it at about 40-42 and then bump it up to 65-70 for the last few days. Plus, if the eggs were shipped, that could be another reason you are having problems. If indeed, there are problems. There are so many things that can go wrong.

I hope things start happening any minute!
fl.gif

I'm right there with ya, happychick! I've got my second hatch on day 19 1/2 in my 1588. I trusted the factory setting the first time around, and had quite a few problems and a low hatch rate -- even for shipped eggs (about 38%). I ordered a digital thermo/humidty (the Springfield one from Walmart) and it got here two days into this batch. I was horrified when I found out what the bator was set to from the factory -- 103.4 degrees! Even IF the thermometer was off, it shouldn't be off THAT much. So I gradually lowered it down to where it was reading 100.1.

Last night, on day 18, I took the egg turner out and added water to bring the humidity up. I am again horrified this morning to see that the temp has dropped to 98.4! I was told that the egg turner will increase the temp bay 1 - 1.5 degrees, and I can now verify that. So what do I do about my low temps? I am so paranoid from reading all the "DON'T OPEN THE BATOR THE LAST 3 DAYS NO MATTER WHAT!!!" warnings, that I don't know if I should up the temps or what. This time I have 10 developed chicks out of 16 (phenomenal for shipped eggs) and I don't want to screw it up. What's got me even more nervous is that I am scheduled to receive a couple dozen Marans eggs ($$$) around the end of this month. I'll be in the dark with them, because they are so hard to candle. One of the reasons I have been hatching silkies (besides the fact that they are my favorite chicken) is so that I could get the incubator dialed in and hopefully get this process all squared away before I dump a bunch of money on expensive eggs.

Now you wanna know what's got me really freaked out? I have one pipping in there right now. 2 days early. Maybe after lowering the temp 3.3 degrees from factory, it's STILL too hot. Hope not, because I'm running on dip switch #1 already!!!

So hang in there, happychick. I guess after a few hatches you kindof get the hang of it, and can expect what your bator is going to do in your environment. The thing is, the environment has such a huge impact on the bator... the factory might have dialed all the bators in exactly at the factory... but what's the chances that your ambient temp and humidity are going to be the same as they are at their factory in GA? I say next time, get a second digital thermo and run two in there, and adjust to where it falls in between the two. That's what I'm going to do next time.

Good luck!
Blaine

Last edited:
oh well thank you everyone I have my fingers crossed and I am just going to have to wait.

I am at sea level pretty much here in NY so I am hoping that the bator is right and my digital is off. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.
fl.gif

When I candled before putting them in all 12 looked good so maybe I will get lucky. Heck I will be happy if 4-5 hatch ohhhhhh show girls I really cant wait!!!!!

I think they have found a place in my heart even though I dont have one yet, I find myself just going to other peoples pics and drooling and smiling at the same time!

Last edited:
AHappychick, my 1588 reads 98.8 on one side and 99.3 on the other ~ consistently, even when I switch the different-brand thermometers. As has been said, a degree low will only delay your hatch slightly. As long as you are above 97, you should be OK.

Please let us know how your hatch goes. The humidity question has floated around so long, I am interested to know what your hatch rate is.

Good luck!

ok I am going to stare into the bator one last time and then bed I swear!!! but if there is no peeping or pips by tomorrow I just might pass out from anxiety!!!

Back
Top Bottom