Starting to suspect Marans are not Marans

I know TSC uses Hoover's, but am unsure if that would be exclusively.

Hoover's doesn't have blue Marans in their line up that I saw.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were possibly an olive egger type hybrid. Maybe Sapphire Olive Egger (with that gorgeous blue feather coloring even though they aren't sporting those stated little crests)..
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/sapphireoliveegger.html

Do you actually remember what the bin was "labeled". They're often mislabeled anyways and sometimes "hatchery choice". Did you get any response at the Marans breeding thread?

I did see you're handsome D'uccle fella!
We were told they were either blue cuckoo or copper Marans. That’s what the worker stated. Nothing was labeled. Only other chicks in that bin were Orpingtons. They had some chipmunk patterned breed in the other bin and then ducks. Only odd chick out was the D’uccle which was the only bantam.
They said too young to tell on there for right now. I suspected them a couple weeks ago, but figured I probably was just crazy. Then when posting on a Marans FB page, a couple people said they didn’t look like Marans so I posted here. I honestly thought they looked a bit like Croad Langshans, but that’s such a rare breed. I do know Cackle sells them, which I thought TSC was using Cackle, but not sure. I may just have to wait and see how the eggs look. I have Wellies to compare for color at least. If Marans they should be darker.

Would love to hear how this played out, if you have time for an update
They’ve started laying! The eggs aren’t the darkest, but they’re too dark to be anything else. So the verdict is Marans! The hatchery that I believe this TSC sources from does sell them. They do still have light foot feathering as well. Overall, very happy with them. 😊
08426E81-EC14-4F5E-A14F-58A851CA99A3.jpeg

Oh neat! I'm hoping to add blue copper marans this season, too. Lovely birds! Can we see your d'uccle, too? I just love that you saw one chicken in the tub and had to have her lol
D44530EF-6639-4A61-8FBC-2C10A46CF065.jpeg

He’s turned into quite the little rooster! Very good with his ladies, even though he hasn’t fully figured everything out yet, lol.

Back
Top Bottom