Starting with chickens again!

birdlover

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Northern Va.
Hello! I gave up my small flock in 2008 and have forgotten a lot of what I learned since I haven't really been active here very much since then. Hoping to change that now that I am adopting 4 bantam pullets in just TWO HOURS!!!!! :celebrate So, I have two questions for right now. 1). What is the difference between sweet PDZ and DE? ( diotomatious earth) Which do you like and why?

2) These girls are approximately 2 months old so I just keep them on chick starter until point of lay, correct? Can they be given treats like berries now? What else? I know scratch is to be given sparingly as a treat...are they old enough to digest that?

Thank you for any info you can give me. I can't wait to start getting to know all of you!

Sweet PDZ is a powdered substance used to reduce odor and ammonia build-up in chicken houses and other livestock operations. I don't use it in my chicken coop, but I have experience using it with rabbits, and it works pretty well to minimize odors.

Diatamaceous earth is the hard, powdered remains of diatoms (tiny marine organisms). It is said to kill external parasites (mites, lice, etc.) and even internal parasites (worms). However, that is not true. DE is, if anything, a preventative measure when it comes to external parasites. And with internal parasites, it is not effective at all--any benefit it has disappears in wet areas (like digestive tracts).

Yes, keep your pullets on chick starter or grower feed until they begin laying or reach 18 weeks old. You can give them a few treats right now, but don't overdo it. Make sure you give them some small grit if you feed them other foods, too.

Good luck with your new birds!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for replying! Bantam Lover, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable. May I ask one more question, please? When I brought my 2 month old chickies home, I let them poke around in a pen I made for them but they were eating the grass like they were starving and I started worrying they would impact their crops! They didn't have grass where they were so I guess it was a wonderful discovery to them. So, I sprinkled some chick grit on their food and hoped they ate some!! I'm sure they will continue gorging on grass tomorrow when I open their coop. Should I be worried?

Thank you so much for replying! Bantam Lover, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable. May I ask one more question, please? When I brought my 2 month old chickies home, I let them poke around in a pen I made for them but they were eating the grass like they were starving and I started worrying they would impact their crops! They didn't have grass where they were so I guess it was a wonderful discovery to them. So, I sprinkled some chick grit on their food and hoped they ate some!! I'm sure they will continue gorging on grass tomorrow when I open their coop. Should I be worried?
They should be fine. My chickens eat grass all the time, and have never had a problem with impacted crop. I'd keep giving them the chick grit, watch for warning signs of impacted crop (hard crop that doesn't go down, lethargy, etc.), and enjoy them!
smile.png

The PDZ is awesome...but I mich prefer the granulated formula rather than the powdered.
I use it on my roost boards to catch and sift 'night poops' out of.

Back
Top Bottom