starting with quail a few questions

pinksapphire

Songster
10 Years
Sep 22, 2013
I have a lone coturnix quail that hatched seven weeks ago and 27 that I hatched two days ago.
I have been keeping the seven week old quail in the house at night and putting it out into my glasshouse during the day but would now like to move it out to the glass house permanently but am worried about it getting cold at night as it is alone, temperature is around 40F (5C) at night, but as it is in a glass house it would be protected from the wind and rain.

Also when can I introduce the seven week old quail to the younger ones?
I was hopping to move them to the glass house at about a week old with there heater, separated from the older quail but when can I let them free rain around the glass house.
Also mice can get into the glass house would this be an issue for the baby quail?
thanks in advance

I have a lone coturnix quail that hatched seven weeks ago and 27 that I hatched two days ago.
I have been keeping the seven week old quail in the house at night and putting it out into my glasshouse during the day but would now like to move it out to the glass house permanently but am worried about it getting cold at night as it is alone, temperature is around 40F (5C) at night, but as it is in a glass house it would be protected from the wind and rain.

I was hopping to move them to the glass house at about a week old with there heater, separated from the older quail but when can I let them free rain around the glass house.
Also mice can get into the glass house would this be an issue for the baby quail?
thanks in advance
Quail are prey even a mouse can kill one(just saying)

Mice are not my expertise, but I would introduce the quail to each other when they are roughly the same size so they dont get picked on. Let them see but not touch each other for a bit so that the babies dont gang up on the lone adult or the lone adult attack the babies. This is how I introduce my chicks to my flock and it generally works with the exception of one bird that was a tad crazy for the sand and fought anyone that looked at him :idunno.

I think 40F won't hurt as long as they aren't suddenly thrown into the cold (brooder to 40F). I have seen people who keep them in the snow as long as they have a place with dry bedding.

Good luck with your quail!

thanks in advance
As long as they are fully feathered out, 40°F is not a problem. Mice are oppertuninistic, mainly after any spent feed they can find...If mice can get in, I'd be more worried that a snake could get in, instead of the mice. A snake would definitely go after the chicks. If the snake is large enough, it can catch and swallow full grown quail, too!

As long as they are fully feathered out, 40°F is not a problem. Mice are oppertuninistic, mainly after any spent feed they can find...If mice can get in, I'd be more worried that a snake could get in, instead of the mice. A snake would definitely go after the chicks. If the snake is large enough, it can catch and swallow full grown quail, too!
Also have been known cases were some snakes will kill them all even if it can't eat them all.

1605275242852.png

1605275309822.png

Beware of the snakes. This one didn't get any of our chicks but he easily could have if he didn't get caught in the net. We evacuated all of the chicks into a trashcan and removed the snake. It was 5-6 feet long.

Edit: The snake kept trying to strike at the babies but he was too tangled to get them, lol. The picture doesn't do justice to show is huge size. We see him occasionally and 1 hose spray has keeps him away for months.

Last edited:
Also have been known cases were some snakes will kill them all even if it can't eat them all.
Yep, that happened to me a couple of years ago. It was small enough to get in but not large enough to swallow any...it managed to kill 8 of the 12 mountain quail I had in the pen....then left after not being able to eat any of them! :hit

Back
Top Bottom