1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

starting with silkies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mdc0414, Nov 7, 2015.

1. mdc0414

mdc0414 New Egg

Nov 7, 2015
    Hi. Have raised (fed,water,gather eggs and maintain coop) for my neighbor for maybe 5 years. Trying my hand at raising my own. Starting with 2 but will likely expand. Bernice is the darker and Shirley lighter...welcome any tips...about 4 wks I think[​IMG]

2. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Berenice ans Shirley look lovely :love I'm sure you will enjoy keeping them, it's a fantastic and very rewarding hobby to have. My top tip would be to check out the learning centre. Lots of super articles to help you keep them happy safe and healthy. Here is the link ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Bernice and Shirley are adorable. Thanks for posting their pics. :eek:) X2 on Yorkshire coop; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. If you like silkies, you will really enjoy the "Silkie thread." Would love to see photos of your silkies when they are several weeks older.

Silkies are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they lay or crow.

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

:love So sweet! Goodluck with your girls!

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by