state abbreviations

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by arabianequine, Nov 17, 2010.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Was thinking today....trying to figure out how states got their abbreviations. Why did they pic certain letters out of the state? Is there a rime or reason?

Some states I think make more sense with at different second letter for the abbreviation.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Some would make more sense if there weren't 50 states, but having a duplicate initial is difficult to get around when considering 50 individual states. Think Maine, Minnesota, Massachusettes, Mississippi. Or....ME, MN(which would've made more sense for Maine), MA(would've made more sense to use MS),MS. See how difficult it could be? [​IMG]

ETA: Add Michigan MI to that list as well. MI could have easily been Mississippi, but it isn't [​IMG]
    Now throw in Montana and Missouri..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  3. Q9

Q9 General Headache

NC, SC, WV, GA and VA all make sense. Gotta love Southern sense. [​IMG] Of course, NY and NJ are pretty reasonable, too.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup, easy just going by the first initial of each word... I think all the two word names do... from NH to NM and all the NDs in between...

On GA and VA though it's the first and last letter in the one word name. That's the rule for Maine & Maryland too.

Some used the first two letters, like AL (Alabama), AR (Arkansas), MA (Mass), MI (Michigan)

Others just picked the first and then a random selection, like AK (Alaska), AZ (Arizona), TX (Texas) or TN (Tennessee)... hmmm perhaps it isn't so random, maybe that's the letter THEY have that the other A or T state doesn't have?? That works for some, AZ AK for example, but doesn't explain why Montana is MT but Minnesota is MN... both have Ns and Ts.

Interesting the way it worked out.

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is a plot created by the post office to confuse the American population. It is a good thing that it was created just postal system. I can only imagined how truly confusing it would have been had the phone company been in charge of the plot.

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Oh! and the 3 West Coast state abbreviations make complete sense.

8. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    It's just the A and M states that get confusing. I always get Arkansas (AR) and Alaska (AK) and Alabama (AL) mixed up.

Michigan could have easily been MC or MG. In fact, on boat licenses it comes up as MC

9. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I don't know I kinda like the challenge of it all. I am in Missouri and the abbreviation is MO. Like that better than IN for Indiana. Anyway I wanted to add the abbreviation was first started for postal codes wasn't it?

10. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Like the idea of first and last letter....Ohio would be ..............OO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by