Stationary coop or Tractor

Packy

Songster
Aug 23, 2023
North Carolina
New to chicken and the country, my neighbor asked to go in halves we both live in rural country. Our call-de-sack. backs up to another with a 6' metal fence lined with honeysuckle. We both have an acre lot and trying to figure a chicken coop with a run, or a tractor coop, family say tractor as they have lived here in NC and have had chickens. My build is going to accommodate about 6 maybe more as time goes on.

Tractor could work well since you don't have winter to contend with.
Will tractor be on the ground and contain them 24/7 or raised but mobile and free ranging.
Predator protection needs to be considered.

here in NC
Welcome to BYC! @Packy
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1692880454507.png

Tractor could work well since you don't have winter to contend with.
Will tractor be on the ground and contain them 24/7 or raised but mobile and free ranging.
Predator protection needs to be considered.

Welcome to BYC! @Packy
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3618074
Tractor will be on the ground 24/7 but I will have a coop also. They won't be free ranging at the moment. Thank you

As someone who has had both..make sure it can be mobile.lol. And by that I mean make sure its not a pain to move. Hubby made one that was really heavy. I prefer my coop. I used the mobile for chicks and meat birds once I had my bigger coop. I'm big on lock up at night..your in NC with the same critters I have..raccoons can pull up chicken wire be leary of using that. Had a small separate light house (not a main one)for younger animals and that jerk pulled a juvenile roo straight through the poultry wire..there were no leftovers. Just use wood in your build..and of course make sure there is ventilation.

Make a chicken tractor, something simple and light. I made one out of PVC pipe and chicken wire, covered with a tarp. This way, you can move it around the yard every couple of weeks to find the perfect location. It should cost under $150. When the chicks are old enough to roost, you can make a roost the right height and length for their size, and make another when the get big. I made a sawhorse- easy to move.

You can later use the PVC tractor if you need to quarantine, or any time you need a second coop.

My tractor had undersized wheels and became very hard to move as it became heavier. I built a minimum security run that was also mobile and mated to the tractor for when predators were around. I wouldn't build a tractor bigger than 4x6 u less it's built on a trailer and can be moved wia truck or tractor.

Back
Top Bottom