STAY AWAY FROM CHICKEN SALOON

I wish I would have seen these posts before I purchased The Ranch from Chicken Saloon. :( I too am extremely disappointed, the quality is POOR to say the least, the prices are high, and the runs are grossly undersized for the amount of chickens they claim can make the coop their home.

I am so lucky, I was just about to pull the trigger on one, did one last search and found similar comments. I ended up buying from a guy who built it on site for not a whole lot more $$. We just had big rain here and I had not a drop in the coop!

I bought The General Store Coop from Chicken Saloon. When it rained, the roof leaked. I called them @1-801-214-1278, and told them the problem. Customer service immediately said they would send me a new roof. Not wanting to undo all the wire in the run, I asked if they would pick up the tab for repairing the roof, and they immediately said, "Yes," and "customer service is everything. We don't want you to have a leaking NEW chicken coop." It doesn't get any better than that. So I highly and enthusiastically recommend the Chicken Coop.

Another thing is the size. I didn't go on how big it looked when I bought it, I used the measurements. That way, I knew exactly the size I was getting.

Well, well, what a difference a carpenter makes. I discovered that the roof doesn't leak. How could it, it was tongue-in-groove. Then my carpenter looked inside and discovered the rain was coming in at the sides, which was fixed with a little caulking. As far as value, I have researched a lot of chicken coops, saw them at Tractor Supply locally, and have concluded that $400 wasn't a bad price. My carpenter said he couldn't build it for that when you consider labor and supplies. Of course, he being a marvel with his hands, and built his coop off The General Store pattern, with wood he had laying around, and of course, free labor. Otherwise, I think the Chicken Saloon prices are in the ball park. But since it's all perception, you have to decide for yourself.
clap.gif

Last edited:
I know its taken a long time to follow up. Since calling them and complaining about the leaking. They did offer to replace any specific part that was leaking IF I paid shipping. However when I told them that literally the entire thing leaked everywhere, from every joint and wood knot, they told me to go buy some Thompsons water seal and seal it myself.

In only six months, half the parts were falling off, hinges came out of the wood and there was water leakage everywhere. We got rid of it, wasting $400.

BTW, they also maintain they stand by the quality of their product, however when mine arrived, it was in another companies box that is sold for $50 cheaper. When I confronted them, they said that the other company only does shipping for them and their product was different, after a lot of arguing they did give me a refund for the balance. The truth is, all this stuff is manufactured overseas with the cheapest, lightest wood possible and redistributed by several companies online. The quant company they portray is nothing more than shipping for a mass produced product from China. We ended up building a much nicer coop for half the cost and trashing this one.

I can see since these first complaints they are attempting to improve their customer service, but the product is still cheap and overpriced. I also questioned them about the 10 chicken occupancy of my coop after it arrived, saying it seemed small, and other companies selling the same product said it was only good for 6 chickens, the response I got was "Well, look at the large chicken mills that keep them in those small cages and they seem fine, so its going to be better than that, right?" Not really the answer I was looking for. If I wanted to eggs from mis-treated chickens I would go back to the store.

We ordered "The Rambler" holds 6 to 9 chickens… What a joke,, its no bigger than a dog box, by the time you get their food and water in there, there isn't enough room for the roosting bars. we tried to send it back but it was going to cost up $218 dollars.. So we called the company and they told up thats what they paid to have it shipped out.. So I said, " So I'm really just getting a 200 dollar coop?" No you're getting a $449,00 dollar coop" was there reply. Oh, ok so they just build them and ship them out for what they have in them,,what ever! The bottom line is we can't afford to just throw away $218 dollars, so we are stuck with it until a later time.. The only good thing is that we free range from 6am until they go in at night.
sad.png

This spring was my first time getting chicks. Knowing we needed a nice big coop and run for 8 chickens we ordered the ranch. Normally we are the DIY kinda people but we were feeling overwhelmed by all the coop possibilities as well as having to stay within city code so we went ahead and spent the $800. As soon as it arrived we were disappointed. The wood was as cheap as possible, all the latches and hinges were also the cheapest possible. We imediately replaced all the latches and hinges. I looked into sending it back but the cost was ridiculous so I figured I would make due. Here it is fall, OF THE SAME YEAR, and this piece of crap coop and run is falling apart. Most of the trim has fallen off and now the back removable pannel is falling apart. Heaven forbid it rains, the inside of my coop is a wet mess so now I have to caulk and paint it as well! All in all I'll be in this thing about $1000. I could have built a chicken PALACE at that price! Not to mention that the run is WAY to small for even my 8 birds (never mind the 10 - 15 they suggest) so we are rebuilding a proper run right now. We have been trying to contact them for the last week to see if this is normal or maybe we just a bad one and we can't get ahold of them at all. All in all VERY disappointed with Chicken Saloon.

research research research.....that will always be your best friend!
That is the truth! I have no idea why it never occurred to me to look up reviews on these coops. We call those kinds of missteps "stupid tax".

we are making the best of it. Using the existing run, disassembled and reconfigured, as a roof for the run we are building this weekend. Then we are going to paint the outside to help with the waterproofing issues. I have a couple gallons of paint colors leftover from a house project that i'm going to use to pain the coop, so that isn't going to cost me anything which is nice.

Back
Top Bottom