1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stay in carton or lay on side in hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lady and her girls, Nov 29, 2009.

1. lady and her girls

lady and her girls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    ohio
    I am bateing in a home made bater- frig-o-bater, knock on wood, things are progressing and day 18 is coming soon. I have them in bottom out egg cartons should I leave them in the egg cartons to hatch or take out and lay them on thier sides in the hatcher?

I was wondering about whether they would get confussed. the hatcher I built has more room so I can put in another egg carton I am going to spread them out now I am worried about the sticking part. I wish there was an emoticon for chewing figernails. lol

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    I'm no expert (not by a looooooooooong shot) but in my case I'm leaving mine in the carton. I heard changing their position so much might confuse them. Especially if they were like that during the whole incubation process.

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    my last hatch i took them out of the turner and put them in cartons. my only problem was it was to crowded in my hova bator, ihad 38 eggs and when they hatched they would get stuck between the cartons. there for i had to open it. i lost 10 because of it. they were shrink wrapped. if you have the room go for it. i wouldnt put them on there sides unless you dont have the room. the silkie bantams had the trouble getting stuck . the big chicks did fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by