Stay with me, it's a long story

meaughtman

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2018
First off let me start off by explaining how i became mother to this one hen.
My neighbor, he is an elderly man has had, in the time I've been living here ( 14 months) a 10x10 dog kennel where he would house dogs, then chickens, then goats, and so on. So he had about six or so chickens and during the day he lets them out and they would always hang out in my yard all day laying in the pine needles under my 10+ pine trees in my yard. I would feed them my food scraps, i am vegan ( unless my husband kills it in the woods) so they were getting vegetables and during the summer i would freeze watermelon for them and they really enjoyed that.
Well over time the six chickens turned into five, and then four, then three until there was only two. My now chicken, her name is Sue was always the odd one out, the others would peck at her and she never had all her feathers on her back. So the two chickens stayed in my yard pretty much all the time. Then no one but Sue came over for a few days, and i didn't see my neighbor outside everyday like normal so i went to check on him and he wasn't home, so i asked our other neighbor and turns out he had had a heart attack and had surgery and was in rehab, this is all happening in the after math of a hurricane where out neighborhood was extremely messed up and we had no power for seven days. So it was just Sue i bought her actual chicken food and gave her water and next thing i know she is sleeping right at my back door every night. It was about ten o'clock one night and i felt bad for her sleeping out there with no shelter at all so i made a temporary box with an old cat litter box and she slept in it on her own after that.
So i then decided this is my chicken and i got her a home, i hope is proper, i feed her and give her water and i got some feather regrow food because of how her feathers have always been. We have formed a bond like I've never seen with a chicken. If i am lounging outside in my chair she hops up and sits on me and we just hangout. I love her dearly and i want what's best for her. My neighbor came home from rehab, i talked to him about Sue. He said i could have her and that she was old and wasn't laying (she has been laying for me) he also told me that something had killed the other chicken ( the last next to Sue) right outside of there coop. And we have coyotes very very close. So now that she is officially mine i want to take excellent care of her but i am having a few issues i don't know what to do or where to look... Thank goodness i found this website. Here are my concerns.
1. i noticed yesterday when she was sitting on me that she has some bugs, they are little white bugs, lice or mites i'm not sure.
2. what type of chicken is she?
3. Is it safe to eat her eggs?
4.She laid about six eggs for me and then yesterday her egg shell was soft and she ate her egg, today the same thing, is that normal?
5. Is her house good enough?
6. is the heat lamp i put up for her going to over heat her or cause a fire?
i have gotten the powder and the spray for the lice or mites and plan on using them Saturday as soon as i have the time off work. I know there is other questions i had but they have left my mind. If you have read this entire post, THANK YOU!! I just want to make Sue happy like she does me. Thanks for your help and Thanks for listening, Here are some photos * also i know i have a lot of grammatical errors, i'm in a rush so no need to tell me :) FB_IMG_1543522394770.jpg FB_IMG_1543522394770.jpg

Attachments

• 20181129_174653.jpg
    20181129_174653.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20181129_174657.jpg
    20181129_174657.jpg
    632.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20181129_174705.jpg
    20181129_174705.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 33
  • FB_IMG_1543522384221.jpg
    FB_IMG_1543522384221.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
First off let me start off by explaining how i became mother to this one hen.
My neighbor, he is an elderly man has had, in the time i've been living here ( 14 months) a 10x10 dog kennel where he would house dogs, then chickens, then goats, and so on. So he had about six or so chickens and during the day he lets them out and they would always hang out in my yard all day laying in the pine needles under my 10+ pine trees in my yard. I would feed them my food scraps, i am vegan ( unless my husband kills it in the woods) so they were getting vegetables and during the summer i would freeze watermelon for them and they really enjoyed that.
Well over time the six chickens turned into five, and then four, then three until there was only two. My now chicken, her name is Sue was always the odd one out, the others would peck at her and she never had all her feathers on her back. So the two chickens stayed in my yard pretty much all the time. Then no one but Sue came over for a few days, and i didn't see my neighbor outside everyday like normal so i went to check on him and he wasn't home, so i asked our other neighbor and turns out he had had a heart attack and had surgery and was in rehab, this is all happening in the after math of a hurricane where out neighborhood was extremely messed up and we had no power for seven days. So it was just Sue i bought her actual chicken food and gave her water and next thing i know she is sleeping right at my back door every night. It was about ten o'clock one night and i felt bad for her sleeping out there with no shelter at all so i made a temparary box with an old cat litter box and she slept in it on her own after that.
So i then decided this is my chicken and i got her a home, i hope is proper, i feed her and give her water and i got some feather regrow food because of how her feathers have always been. We have formed a bond like i've never seen with a chicken. If i am lounging outside in my chair she hops up and sits on me and we just hangout. I love her dearly and i want what's best for her. My neighbor came home from rehab, i talked to him about Sue. He said i could have her and that she was old and wasn't laying (she has been laying for me) he also told me that something had killed the other chicken ( the last next to Sue) right outside of there coop. And we have cyotes very very close. So now that she is offically mine i want to take excellent care of her but i am having a few issues i don't know what to do or where to look... Thank goodness i found this website. Here are my concerns.
1. i noticed yesterday when she was sitting on me that she has some bugs, they are little white bugs, lice or mites im not sure.
2. what type of chicken is she?
3. Is it safe to eat her eggs?
4.She layed about six eggs for me and then yesterday her egg shell was soft and she ate her egg, today the same thing, is that normal?
5. Is her house good enough?
6. is the heat lamp i put up for her going to over heat her or cause a fire?
i have gotten the powder and the spray for the lice or mites and plan on using them Saturday as soon as i have the time off work. I know there is other questions i had but they have left my mind. If you have read this entire post, THANK YOU!! I just want to make Sue happy like she does me. Thanks for your help and Thanks for listening, Here are some photos View attachment 1602933 View attachment 1602933
Looks like a Rhode Island Red to me. If you give her feather fixer feed, that will help regrow her feathers. Is it cold where you are? Otherwise she won’t need a heat lamp.

:hugsWhat a lucky little girl to have you adopt her. Oyster shell will help with her soft eggs. You can get it where you bought the feed. If not then on line. Just keep a bowl of it next to her feeder. They naturally know how much and when to eat it.
I wouldn’t put in a heat lamp. She’s been outside all this time. What she needs is a Dry Draft Free place to sleep. Think a dog house W/straw.
Predators are I think you’re biggest problem. If you’re not going to build a run for her then look for a nite box or dog house that perhaps has a door. Or better yet ask hubby to build a little box.
She already has a much better quality of life having regular quality chicken feed and fresh water.
Oh ... just a thought if you do make a sleeping box for her if you could raise it up off the ground (thinking table legs) it would help with some predators too.
Best wishes to you and lucky-Sue!

Last edited:
1. Bugs mean lice or mites. Get some permethrin spray, diatomaceous earth/all natural stuff won’t work as well.
2. She looks like a production red or red star.
3. Yes it’s safe to eat the eggs
4. She needs more calcium to make the eggshell. Buy her some oyster shell for supplement.
5. Her house is adorable!!!! If you decide to get her a hen friend (which I highly recommend) you will need more space though. Also as Miss Chickadee said, predator proofing is necessary.
6. What is the temperature? Heat lamps are a fire hazard and you may not need it. If you really are concerned you could get a cozy coop, sweeter heater, or even a heat pad. Warm straw bedding will help as well.
So glad you are taking care of her! I wish you the best of luck.

:hugsWhat a lucky little girl to have you adopt her. Oyster shell will help with her soft eggs. You can get it where you bought the feed. If not then on line. Just keep a bowl of it next to her feeder. They naturally know how much and when to eat it.
I wouldn’t put in a heat lamp. She’s been outside all this time. What she needs is a Dry Draft Free place to sleep. Think a dog house W/straw.
Predators are I think you’re biggest problem. If you’re not going to build a run for her then look for a nite box or dog house that perhaps has a door. Or better yet ask hubby to build a little box.
She already has a much better quality of life having regular quality chicken feed and fresh water.
Oh ... just a thing if you do make a sleeping box for her if you could raise it up off the ground (thinking table legs) it would help with some predators too.
Best wishes to you and lucky-Sue!

Her coop does have a door I just keep it open so she can come and go but I can start closing it at night until I have a bigger coop with a run ready

Back
Top Bottom