Steak Diane and Browned Yukon Gold Potatoes

bigmike&nan

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Scenic Jackson New Jersey
A classic old school dish, prepared at table on a cart in front of the customer, everyone is a sucker for the show, love seeing the flaming brandy. Enjoy

(serves 2)

2 6oz top sirloin steaks, trimmed of all fat
salt and fresh cracked pepper
2 Tbls evo
1 Tbls butter

2 cups thin sliced mushrooms
2 Tbls sliced shallots (or finely diced vidallia onions)
1 Tsp worcestershire sauce
2 Tsp dijon mustard
2 Tsp minced garlic
6 oz. brandy
1 cup heavy cream
1 oz butter
1/2 cup chopped parsley

Preparation:

Season the top sirloins on both sides very generously with salt and pepper, roll out the steaks very thinly with a heavy rolling pin until they are about 1/2 inch thick.
Heat a heavy skillet on high heat. Add the olive oil and butter and once it is hot lay the steaks in AWAY from you (so you don't get splashed by the hot oil). Cook 1 minute, you want some nice color on them. Flip and cook the 2nd side 1 minute. Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm. Now add the shallots and mushrooms and saute about 3-4 minutes, add the worcestershire sauce, mustard and minced garlic andcook about a minute stirring well. Remove the pan from the flame, add the brandy and put the pan back on the flame, tip slightly to light brandy. Stand back, when flames have subsided add cream and butter and heat about 3 minutes. Add chopped parsley and slide steaks and their juices back in the pan. Cook about 2 minutes to warm steaks. Plate steaks, then nappe sauce over the steaks. Serve with browned potatoes (see recipe below).

800px-Steak_Diane.jpg

Browned Yukon Gold Potatoes

Mis en place:

1 lb. small yukon cold potatoes, par boiled and once cooled sliced in half
3 Tbls EVO
1 Tbls minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped parsley

Preparation:

Heat heavy skillet on high, add EVO and heat until it smokes, carefully lay cut side of potatoes down into pan and saute about 8 minutes, then add minced garlic and cook about 2 minutes more, toss in parsley and serve with Steak Diane.

Gordon Ramsey's demo of both dishes, if this doesn't make you hungry I don't know what will.
Postscript: I found lovely fingerling potatoes at a small market near us and we used those for the browned potatoes. I think my wife and I liked the potatoes first, the sauce second best and the steak third (my wife doesn't really "like" meat)

steakdiane.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom