Steer Clear of Walmart Feed.

Quote:
It all started because I have a hen, my favorite of course, that from the time she was 6 months old, had a slow/sour crop, sometimes impacted and had constant liquid diarrhea. These episodes were never ending. I had a feeling all along it was the feed but there are few choices around here to choose from when it comes to chicken feed. But eventually I just took the plunge and started making my own feed. She is 3 years old now. I started making my own feed about 8 months ago, and her symptoms cleared up immediately, and have not returned since.

I don't know if this recipe is complete. I did the best I could at doing research on feeds and supplements that chickens need. However after 8 months, and one molt, all the chickens are healthy, laying well and I don't see any complications. But this is just my observations. And I am no expert.

I use Whole Wheat, Millet, Corn, Rolled Oats, Hulled Sunflower Seed. For supplements I add Farmers Helper Ultra Kibble and Kaytee Egg-cited Egg Food Supplement. I also add ground oystershell and dried mealworms. I grind the grains in a grain grinder to a medium crumble and the supplements are ground in a coffee grinder. The oystershell is ground in the grain grinder as well. Only what is needed for 2 days is ground. The food is misted with water to make a damp mash at feeding time to keep all the ingredients together, especially the supplements that want to fall to the bottom and not be consumed.

I have the exact amounts of everything should you want to make this recipe. You can pm me for the correct amounts to mix.
smile.png

Last edited:
A good healthy chick starter is best then go to Turkey Grow with 20% or more of protean for the growing cycle
droolin.gif
Speaking of that.. getting back into chickens and it used to be the best thing to start your chicks on was turkey starter as it was better medicated. That's all I ever used to use and had real good luck with it. Is it still a good idea to start new chicks on or is the chick starter good enough ?

Speaking of that.. getting back into chickens and it used to be the best thing to start your chicks on was turkey starter as it was better medicated. That's all I ever used to use and had real good luck with it. Is it still a good idea to start new chicks on or is the chick starter good enough ?

I try to hatch out new chicks every several months so to tell you how I do it is the chick
starter is used for up to 2 weeks as by that time the chicks can eat the turkey grow and
sometimes I put it in the blender to make it as small as chick starter and it disappears
so fast and I get what I want and that is feathers so I can put them outside but then again
I never let feed sit around more then 4 mounts and chick feed goes in a large freezer
for storage at that time and if the temp's go over 120* F nothing is stored from lone periods
of time and just emptied out as feed for the adult birds and most of the feeding is dune
at night in them kinds of tempters or the flock will just be wiped out from heat stroke ....
But to answer your question yes turkey grow as it has most everything can be used
as a only feed for chicks and if crushed is just perfect
smile.png

gander007
old.gif

The Walmart on PEI, Canada doesn't sell anything but cat and dog food. I buy my feed at Gardiners, they are a specialty store for farm feed and other items. I've never had a problem with the quality and the prices per bag are super affordable - that really surprised me.

Back
Top Bottom