Stella's Social Club

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by The Sheriff, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well, we signed all of the papers and they got all of their $$ today. Looks like they'll hand over the home on July 3rd. That gives us a four day weekend to clean the place... get the carpets cleaned and start moving stuff. We are going to leave some stuff here to "stage" the home.

I went for a hike up at the new place this evening. It is absolutely PERFECT FOR ME. I can pick any variety of trails from easy to difficult and with a little extra hiking, I can get to a VERY difficult trail or two. I'll probably stick with the medium climbs for the first month or so.... until, I've become very familiar with every trail at different times of day. The neighbors up there are awesome... stopped and talked to a couple of them before I came home.

So now, I'm "House Poor"... my wife reminded me that we are not very "liquid" at the moment... two homes. half of small dental office building and 8 acres of land in Utah. We've had folks call and BEG us to sell them our land in Utah but real estate is really going up there so we don't want to sell too soon.

Yesterday I got 12 eggs... today only 7. But it was 108 today... so I can't blame them when it's over 105.

Sold 3 dozen eggs for $10 this evening. I continue to have folks call and ask for availability. We almost didn't have any for breakfast tomorrow!

I haven't gotten a report on the FFA Icelandics from bcluff in over a month. I'll have to PM him to see what is happening. I had heard through the grapevine that a couple of them had gone broody, but that the roo wasn't getting it done yet.

I've got patients non-stop from 7AM to 5PM tomorrow and Friday... and next week is completely booked and it looks like I'll have to open up my day off next Friday if the week of the 4th fills up.

Our AC went out two days ago. NOT FUN... we survived. I was about to go out and sleep in the coop!

I have an AC repairman who is my patient. If he calls on a weekend or holiday, I tell him to go to the office immediately. I don't ever want him to have an excuse when my AC goes out in June, July or August. He had if fixed in less than 24 hours. YAY!

So we've got lots of the same size boxes. It's going to be lots of 9.4 mile trips... 19 round trip the next two moths.

have a great evening.

Luv y'all,

Dar

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Dar nice to hear you are still walking trails - good for you. I wouldn't make it in your climate. I can't even take 80's unless the sky is overcast and there is a stiff breeze blowing.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Dar! Congrats!

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This appears to be habitual for you. [​IMG]

Dar - Congrats! I'm glad the hiking trails work for you, you really seem to enjoy it. Take it easy moving and don't overdo it. I certainly could not make it in your climate. I don't like anything over 95 unless there is a pool nearby.

5. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

I always say I'd like it to soar to 80 in the summer and plummet to 70 in the winter.............I'd be happy!

6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

7. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I grew up in Auburn and Auburn was A LOT smaller then than it is now. I don't do big cities very well. I get lost in the Bay Area very easily.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I feel exactly the same way, now. I was lucky to find a rental in West Sacramento when I relocated from Monterey County in 2007, because I had vowed never to move to Sacramento. Well, things change... the promotion was the perfect move for me... Although I suffer(ed) every time the temperature rose above 80. I also had not experienced true freezing temperatures before. My comfort zone is 50 to 75. I can feel my shoulders relax when I hit the Alameda county line, and I'm smiling when I cross the South Fork of the Cosumnes River into El Dorado County at River Pines. I love the drive into (and from) Placerville, whether it's through Diamond Springs, or via Newtown Road or Cedar Ravine. Almost every time I take one of those drives, I ruminate on how wonderful it would be to live "in a place like this" and grin - because, hey, wait! I DO live here!

10. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I used to live out near Lotus when I first moved to this county in the 70's. During big holiday weekends (Memorial Day, the 4th, etc), I would see all these vehicles pass by, set up for camping. They were on their way to the campgrounds around the river a mile down the road. I remember marveling over people coming to where I live for their vacations and I got to be here every day!

Although, I'll admit, I would love to be further into the NW, OR/WA coastal areas. I do love the gray, dreary weather and the GREEN! I'm always sad to see the hills/fields here browning for six+ months of the year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by