Step-by-Step Tube Feeding Guide - Pictures - Under construction

So sorry. :hugs What problems are you treating?
Started with bumblefoot that we have been treating as follows for 3 weeks now: Weight was 3.4kgs at initial appointment(1/29) and the vet started him on meloxicam 7.5mg PO SID (for life for arthritis), TMS 240mg PO BID(for at least 2 months), fenbendazole(x2 rounds - completed 2/17) for scant Capillaria found during his fecal float, dilute chlorhexadine solution soaks SID-BID, followed by SSD, hydrophilic foam dressing, pool noodle cutout, then vetwrap. He's being kept in a warm, dry environment and typically gets All Flock pellets, fruits, veggies, meal worms and a few scratch grains. He would also typically free range(next to other chickens, but no longer in with them as he is geriatric), but we had to change that up to make sure his feet stay clean and dry. Things were going pretty well until a few days ago(2/15-16) when he started backing off his food and becoming progressively lethargic. We were able to get him in for an urgent care exam 2/18, but by that point he had been off food for ~24 or so hours(but still drinking well, if not more than normal), and stools light yellow diarrhea(sorry, I do not have a photo right now). The vet wanted to do full bloodwork, radiographs, and hospitalize him, but we are a small family run 501c3 animal sanctuary, and we just didn't have $1200 to shell out on the spot for full diagnostics. So we went home with SQ fluids(100-150mls q12-24hrs) and Doxycycline 55mg PO SID with instruction to stay the course with all prior meds/treatments. His weight was down to 2.7kgs by this visit..

Vet at 2nd visit said it could be a respiratory infection, systemic infection, cancer, or any combination of the above. His ears are crusty with a thick yellow funk(no odor), so a URI is not out of the question...HOWEVER.........this Dr performed a JOKE of a physical exam(I can say this with confidence as an experienced vet tech who has worked with this particular DVM - knowing she has chickens of her own), and when we declined diagnostics due to funds, she was done with us. She did not even remove the bandage on his foot to check the progression of his recently diagnosed bumblefoot or care to watch the videos we offered of him doing an odd motion with his mouth and throat - which we were able to diagnose as him adjusting his crop..but frequently and excessively leading us down the rabbit hole of crop problems...

Ok, rant over. I was frustrated, but still polite. She could very well have been running a code on a crashing pet. EVERYONE PLEASE BE KIND AND THANK YOUR VETERINARIANS AND THEIR STAFF! We work very hard and are typically understaffed and underappreciated as well as verbally abused for things that are out of our hands, which is why the suicide rate is so high in our profession.

Ok, back to Fred. I believe his crop issue is decreased GI motility in the hind gut exacerbated by decreased exercise and less time in an upright position. There could also be a tumor that is pushing on and partially obstructing the hindgut. It's not sour crop, there is no odor at all coming from his mouth or the tube(I smell it when I get it in the crop before giving fluids). At this point the GI stasis could also have caused an obstruction in the gizzard as well, so to be clear, the only I'm giving through the tube is Pedialyte, his oral meds, and water to flush the meds through the tube. He's VERY bad for SQ fluids though, so I plan to start giving those through the tube as this seems safer than stressing him out while trying to jab a needle near his airsacs..😵. He seems to have a teensy bit of pendulous crop, so he is 'sporting' a denim and vetwrap sports bra criss-crossed over his back to support his old stretched out crop muscles....

We are fundraising for him currently to fund further diagnostics +/- treatments...if anyone is able or wants to check out our FB/IG page, our name is Flying Pig Animal Santuary.

I'm quite sure I left a thing or two out, but those are the vast majority of big points.

@casportpony thank you for this thread! I have a question I haven’t found an answer to. Is it possible to accidentally insert tube too far in a chicken? not far enough?? I’m wanting to try tubing as a last resort for my copper as he’s still hanging on but I can’t get enough into him doing what I’m doing now. My biggest hesitation is messing it up so that it goes in the wrong place. Once the end of the tube is past the trachea without question, is it safe to start pumping and it will go where it needs to go? How do I *know* if/when the tube is properly in the crop? I’m also terrified of going too far down. 😬

@casportpony thank you for this thread! I have a question I haven’t found an answer to. Is it possible to accidentally insert tube too far in a chicken? not far enough?? I’m wanting to try tubing as a last resort for my copper as he’s still hanging on but I can’t get enough into him doing what I’m doing now. My biggest hesitation is messing it up so that it goes in the wrong place. Once the end of the tube is past the trachea without question, is it safe to start pumping and it will go where it needs to go? How do I *know* if/when the tube is properly in the crop? I’m also terrified of going too far down. 😬
I tried it, and I *think* I did it right! I tubed 20mL and no gasping or choking and I can feel it in his crop!

But I have one more question- I’m only at step 3 in your initial post, waiting for the hour to pass before I give next round of fluids. It says if no poop after 3 hours of initial tubing to tube again. What happens if there is still no poop? Do you just keep up with the liquids until they poop and then it’s safe to start the formula? I’m assuming we wait for poop to make sure they are properly hydrated first?

My biggest hesitation is messing it up so that it goes in the wrong place.
It is possible to insert it in the trachea. This is why I always feel for the tube in the esophagus before giving fluids or food.
Once the end of the tube is past the trachea without question, is it safe to start pumping and it will go where it needs to go?
I go until the tube bottoms out in the crop, then back up a little.
How do I *know* if/when the tube is properly in the crop? I’m also terrified of going too far down. 😬
If you can feel the tube in the crop you know it's in the right place. Hard to go "too far" unless you force it and rupture the crop. Just be gentle. :
I tried it, and I *think* I did it right! I tubed 20mL and no gasping or choking and I can feel it in his crop!
Congrats!
What happens if there is still no poop? Do you just keep up with the liquids until they poop and then it’s safe to start the formula?
I keep going until they poop.
I’m assuming we wait for poop to make sure they are properly hydrated first?
Yes.

It is possible to insert it in the trachea. This is why I always feel for the tube in the esophagus before giving fluids or food.

I go until the tube bottoms out in the crop, then back up a little.

If you can feel the tube in the crop you know it's in the right place. Hard to go "too far" unless you force it and rupture the crop. Just be gentle. :

Congrats!

I keep going until they poop.

Yes.
Thank you!! I’m prepping for a second tube of fluids now. Should his crop be completely empty before I do this? I feel like there’s still a little in there.

You're welcome! I hope he gets better. :hugs
Thank you, so do I! I’m 99% sure it’s Marek’s at this point, but I’m going to try to help him recover anyway. I figure if he survives this, he’s one strong roo!

Another question- this last time tubing there was a small tinge of blood on the tube when I pulled out. Is this normal, or did I hurt him?

Back
Top Bottom