Step-by-Step Tube Feeding Guide - Pictures - Under construction

Thank you, so do I! I’m 99% sure it’s Marek’s at this point, but I’m going to try to help him recover anyway. I figure if he survives this, he’s one strong roo!

Another question- this last time tubing there was a small tinge of blood on the tube when I pulled out. Is this normal, or did I hurt him?
That's unusual. Can you post a picture of your tube?

That's unusual. Can you post a picture of your tube?
Sure. It’s just 6mm airline tubing, so equivalent to an 18 french. Also shown on the paper towel is the little streak of blood I wiped off of it, so you can get an idea how much it was.
6D02A9E3-59BC-4BD9-9ADD-AC74B5AF6D7F.jpeg

Sure. It’s just 6mm airline tubing, so equivalent to an 18 french. Also shown on the paper towel is the little streak of blood I wiped off of it, so you can get an idea how much it was.
6D02A9E3-59BC-4BD9-9ADD-AC74B5AF6D7F.jpeg
The sharp edge might have cut him:
1659825926571.png

Before you tube again, melt the end a little with a lighter.

Sure. It’s just 6mm airline tubing, so equivalent to an 18 french. Also shown on the paper towel is the little streak of blood I wiped off of it, so you can get an idea how much it was. View attachment 3213892
Maybe the edge of the end scratched him some? It’s not rounded like a cath is, maybe that’s the issue. It’s just what I was able to find quickly and locally, I do have catheters on order but obviously takes time to get them delivered.

Hey @casportpony sorry one more question!

my roo is starting to perk back up, and while he does WANT to eat, he’s still having trouble actually getting the food into his mouth. It’s slightly better with moistened crumbles/mash but is still quite a long process for him.

Should I continue tubing, and if so, how much should I be giving? Should I just do half feeds a couple times a day? I want to give him as much opportunity to feed himself as I can obviously, but I’m worried he’ll backslide if he’s not able to get what he needs on his own. What do you suggest?

How much and how often one tubes really depends on how much weight they are gaining or losing. Are you weighing him daily?

How much and how often one tubes really depends on how much weight they are gaining or losing. Are you weighing him daily?
Well, Yes and no. I keep forgetting to weigh him BEFORE I tube for the first time each day, so my numbers aren’t exact. I don’t know what he was before he got sick, but Saturday morning he was 669g, and that WAS with an empty crop in the morning. Today he was ~686g (I forgot to weigh before first feed of the day- he was 706 after a 20mL feed. When I weighed 20mL of feed it was also 20g so I just subtracted that but I’m pretty sure that’s not a 100% accurate method lol. I didn’t even think about it- how much SHOULD he be gaining per day?? I’ve just been trucking along, feeding him 20mL 3-4x a day, and tubing extra fluids every couple hours in between, since he wasn’t drinking well.

Back
Top Bottom