Stevie-Ray the blind duck turns one year old.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, May 20, 2011.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    My Blind Indian Runner Duck Stevie- Ray is now a year old - So I just wanted to post here to mark the occasion I never thought would happen when she hatched. I never expected her to live this long- when she first hatched with cloudy eyes, but am just so glad she is still around. I was just so worried about how she would cope. I have cared for many ducks with disabilities over the years- but mainly leg issues - so total blindness was a big worry. Knowing she would cope over the heat of summer, I did plan to bring her inside the house if necessary- but she has managed well living outside with the flock . She is the sweetest girl ..I was home from work today to prepare some birds for our first show if the year- and was so glad to be home and able to spend some time with her as well .

After being let out for breakfast- Stevie hadnt laid her egg yet- so I took her back into the shed. She wandered around the pen and found a spot in a corner to make her nest.

She has never seen another duck make a nest- but I watched her pull the hay around her- turn around a few times and then lay her egg. Instincts really are amazing. I have started wondering about letting her hatch some babies of she ever goes broody. I think she would make a wonderful mother despite her disability.

Here she is again outside again after laying her egg.

Stevie- Ray has a protector- A drake named Noggin who rarely leaves her side- he was also in the shed this morning with us- softly quacking while we waited for her to lay. He is her "seeing eye duck" when I am not around to watch out for her.

I hope she is around for many more years to come.
  2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Awesome! She is so pretty!
  3. ChicaChicken

ChicaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Happy Birthday Stevie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing her story it just made my day! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Happy birthday Stevie!! She's a beauty!!
  5. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    awww, what a great story, happy birthday Stevie
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Excellent update! [​IMG]
  7. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Aww what a nice story! I hope she is around for a long time too!
  8. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL

She's so sweet!!!
  9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Happy Brthday Stevie Ray, I hope you have many more beautiful years with your mum. [​IMG]
  10. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW !!! Thanks for sharing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great she has You and Noggin.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by