Stevie-Ray the blind duck turns one year old.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, May 20, 2011.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    My Blind Indian Runner Duck Stevie- Ray is now a year old - So I just wanted to post here to mark the occasion I never thought would happen when she hatched. I never expected her to live this long- when she first hatched with cloudy eyes, but am just so glad she is still around. I was just so worried about how she would cope. I have cared for many ducks with disabilities over the years- but mainly leg issues - so total blindness was a big worry. Knowing she would cope over the heat of summer, I did plan to bring her inside the house if necessary- but she has managed well living outside with the flock . She is the sweetest girl ..I was home from work today to prepare some birds for our first show if the year- and was so glad to be home and able to spend some time with her as well .

After being let out for breakfast- Stevie hadnt laid her egg yet- so I took her back into the shed. She wandered around the pen and found a spot in a corner to make her nest.

[​IMG]

She has never seen another duck make a nest- but I watched her pull the hay around her- turn around a few times and then lay her egg. Instincts really are amazing. I have started wondering about letting her hatch some babies of she ever goes broody. I think she would make a wonderful mother despite her disability.

[​IMG]

Here she is again outside again after laying her egg.

Stevie- Ray has a protector- A drake named Noggin who rarely leaves her side- he was also in the shed this morning with us- softly quacking while we waited for her to lay. He is her "seeing eye duck" when I am not around to watch out for her.

I hope she is around for many more years to come.

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Awesome! She is so pretty!

3. ChicaChicken

ChicaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Happy Birthday Stevie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing her story it just made my day! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Happy birthday Stevie!! She's a beauty!!

5. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    awww, what a great story, happy birthday Stevie

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Excellent update! [​IMG]

7. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Aww what a nice story! I hope she is around for a long time too!

8. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    [​IMG]

She's so sweet!!!

9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Happy Brthday Stevie Ray, I hope you have many more beautiful years with your mum. [​IMG]

10. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW !!! Thanks for sharing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great she has You and Noggin.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by