Stick tight fleas???

NinasNest

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2016
Texas
Help!! My orpingtons have fleas around their eyes/ nostrils, I've been using DE for ants and other pests around the coop and floor of the run I did sprinkle it on them 2 weeks ago.
Last week I went and got some poultry dust from the feed store but was advised to not get it in their eyes or nostrils, so I sprinkled that on them and dusted their face carefully with my finger.
There's about 10 fleas on one and 8 on the other. I've tried to hold them and pick them off but of course the girls aren't having that.

Any suggestions on what else I can do??
Would a bath help get the fleas to move or at least uproot their heads?
They are 5 months old, not laying eggs just yet but still want to get this fixed!

welcome-byc.gif
Type 'Treatment stick tight fleas' in the search bar at the top of the page and do an on site search. There are several threads on treatment. Good luck in getting rid of these pests.

I think I've found a perfect solution. I didn't know about these pests until I found a massive colony on the head of one of my hens. I read all the comments on several sites about treatment. I didn't want to use toxic chemicals. One of the suggestions was olive oil twice a day. I figured that would smother them. However, I don't have time to put olive oil on my hens twice a day - and it didn't say how long it would take. I also figured olive oil would run or get rubbed off quickly. Light bulb goes on time~! I had a jar of LANOLIN SKIN PROTECTANT. That stuff is sticky as heck. I went down last night and applied it to one hen - the one with the worst infestation -- for an experiment, in case there were problems, I didn't want all of them to get problems. I rubbed it into each spot well and smoothed her feathers. She shook her head and scratched a bit, but a little corn scratch distracted her from that. It was close to roosting time, so she went to bed. Just checked her around noon this morning. She had dusted herself and the goo was covered in dust - BUT - here's the good part - A GOOD 2/3 OF THE STICK TIGHTS WERE GONE~! I was flabbergasted and excited. She didn't seem any the worse for the wear and was about her regular day. I would recommend 50% to 100% Lanolin in a jar - it's very thick and stays on well. Check the other ingredients if it's not 100% so you don't get anything toxic. I was also careful not to get it in her eyes, nostrils or ears.

That's great!! I haven't had much time to get on and update but I found a solution as well!

I put Vaseline over the fleas to smother them and they all died, I scratched some out and they did the rest. I also used some poultry powder and dusted their backs and the coop/ run. After about 1.5 weeks I cleaned all the shavings out of the coop area and sprinkled the powder down again and replaced the bedding. They haven't came back! Every time I clean the coop I sprinkle a little of it everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom