sticking to free range & avoiding laying feed

I'd like to know to. Please come back witchwriter
smile.png

BTW, what is "cracking pin feathers on one of their heads"?
when the new feathers come in, and the shaft has dried, i crack those and remove the husk from the tiny ones - cracking pin feathers. leave the big feathers alone. the little ones can be removed so they aren't poking them in the head and neck so bad. you will get quite dusty. its something i do for the parrots and the chickens seem to enjoy it too. always dried husks that will pretty much fall off with just the pressure of two fingers so you don't get any blood feathers.

deb

edited: i didn't abandon the thread - alot of appointments on friday ;)

Last edited:
i only have 1 macaw - blue & gold - and i pet him all the time. he regurgitates for me - i am his mate. while petting i rub his pin feahers on the back of his head and under his "chin" so they don't poke him. i only have 6 ladies. with a large number of birds this would probably never happen because there would not be the "intimacy", if you wanna call it that. sammy, my blue & gold, expects it now and will even turn his head for me to get ones poking him. i just help remove the dry shafts in areas he can't reach with his beak. i nice shower after that and he is so very happy. the ladies don't much appreciate warm showers and i have gleaned this from their desire to hide from rain LOL. my sammy would miss his morning mist shower if i forgot <3

my husband raised/trained parrots much of his adolescent/teenage years and he showed me how. the birds really do appreciate the help - it feel good to get rid of those feathers that are poking them and making them uncomfortable. there is a little more info here: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-health-care/881-helping-pin-feathers.html and i have to say both parrots and chickens do find it heavenly <3

mine free range but I leave layer crumbles out for them so they can eat it whenever they want. Naturally they eat a little more layer crumbles in winter.(or what little winter we have here in south Alabama)

Good Luck to ALL

Only when they want to raise a family.

Largest collection of great greens in captivity raised for re-release into the wild.

This breeding pair was 90 years old, which is why people shouldn't own them.

This is a young pair that had just produced an egg.

This is where they belong. There's a scarlet flying free over the beach.

Only when they want to raise a family.

Largest collection of great greens in captivity raised for re-release into the wild.

This breeding pair was 90 years old, which is why people shouldn't own them.

This is a young pair that had just produced an egg.

This is where they belong. There's a scarlet flying free over the beach.

ours was a rescue - he looked so pitiful - he is beautiful and very opinionated right now :D nobody can touch but me unless i am not in sight. i am his human and he has trained me well :p my son will take him when we pass away - there was always a forever plan and our son can handle him very well and would be just as lost as us if sammy were to die before us. we will not buy a parrot but we will rescue as many as we could. so far there has been just him <3 if i had never been sammy's mom i never would have ventured into chickens ;) sammy is a rescue and we do not intend to breed him unless the right female rescue came along and that hasn't happened in 8 years. my husband so wants a scarlett - that is what he grew up with and to be honest - the B&G was a birthday gift for him but sammy chose me - i will NEVER live it down LOL :)

Back
Top Bottom