Sticky chicks help!!

Taegz

Chirping
Oct 17, 2020
Hi, I have 11 speckled sussex eggs hatching, well 4 are out 2 more pips and 5 no pips yet, my concern is I have had to assist 3 out of the 4 as they are sticky, like Glue!! My question is should I make safety holes for the last 5 eggs (have candled and can see bare minimum movement & have internally pipped) they are only on day 21 but I'm worried they might be too sticky to even make an external pip as the others had a really hard time and I would hate to lose them by not trying..
Also do I just use a washcloth to clean the hatched ones? Or dip them I'm warm water? Never had sticky Chicks before, so any and all advice welcome. Please and thank you.
(Yes I'm aware this is a Humidity issue) only asking for advice on weather to make safety holes for remaining eggs and how best to clean the hatched ones. 🙂

If they have been internally pipped for awhile I would be tempted to make safety holes. It can't hurt and ensures they are getting the oxygen they need.

I'm not sure on how to get the stickiness off but I wouldn't dip them completely in water - try sponging it off first. Sorry you are having to deal with this. :hugs

If they have been internally pipped for awhile I would be tempted to make safety holes. It can't hurt and ensures they are getting the oxygen they need.

I'm not sure on how to get the stickiness off but I wouldn't dip them completely in water - try sponging it off first. Sorry you are having to deal with this. :hugs
Thank you it's my first time dealing with this, I've done so much research but still wasn't prepared for this!! 😬 I've managed to get 5 out safely now they were so stuck it's not funny!! But the last little one I just helped was completely stuck at the bottom , it has absorbed all it's yolk but it's navel was like "glued" the the bottom and despite my careful slow help it did start to bleed.. 🥺 I've put cornstarch on the area and cleaned the bottom of the shell of any gooey gunk and popped its butt back in the shell with more cornstarch In the shell and wrapped it and popped it in a small container to limit it's movement and will hope for the best! 🤞🙏 I'm not sure I want to help the last 4 now as that one scared me! I think I'll let them sit over night and if they're still fighting in the morning I'll help even more slowly/carefully in the morning. Wish me luck.

@Taegz how did it go with the rest? Fingers crossed for you! 🤞🏽
Thank you for asking, I managed to get 8 out safely, two died in my hands 🥺 the last little one is a lot smaller than the others, I have no idea why or if it had anything to do with bring "sticky" 🤔🤷‍♀️ but it's finally starting to get some wing feathers but still not really growing much. I'll pop a picture of the little one with one of its siblings that were from the same time/batched Hatched the same day. It's like a midget chick! 😅 I just hope it will soon catch up in size and go on to live a happy healthy life. 🙏🥰💞
IMG20210317171412.jpg
IMG20210317171619.jpg
IMG20210317171242.jpg

Back
Top Bottom