Sticky chicks....

msdoolittle

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Well, since now I have determined my temps were too low for most of the incubation, I have some slightly still sticky chicks after almost a day. Not too terribly bad, though, but they do need to be fluffed a bit when I move them into the brooder, mainly on their rumps. Any tips for getting the fluff fluffed? I figured a toothbrush/towel should work....

This was a LG bator, temp was about a degree too low for much of the incubation period, humidity is currently about 43% (was 30-40% for incubation), hatch should be completed by this evening.

:0)

Sarah, it is a still air right now, but I have the fan kit waiting. I say a degree low, but that's probably not exactly true. I know that the internal temp of an egg needs to be 99.5, but this was the temp taken at the top of the eggs, so it could be SEVERAL degrees too low. Anyway, I was just glad some survived in spite of me!

Next incubation will be under a forced air system this Sunday, so I am expecting a much better hatch this go-round. I haven't ever hatched chicken eggs before, though I have done many reptile eggs with no problem. This is a whole different ball game!

I ask cause I am using a still air LG right now that stays at 99.1.. Chicks are developing though

Sorry I cant help you with the sticky chick question

msdoolittle, sorry to hear about your chicks, had the same problem with my first hatch in a homemade bator. The temps and humidity said it was right on 99 but must be off as only 1 chick hatched and was sticky , the rest never made it out of their eggs
hit.gif
My chick never fluffed up in the incubator after a day either, so I took him/her out and gave it a warm bath in the sink and carefully dried it with a hairdryer and held it awhile until I knew it was nice and warm before putting it back in its box. This is one tough little chickie cuz she is still going after 2 weeks! I named her Sticky BUns. Good Luck with your babies AM

I just had 2 sets in my LG still air that didn't make it. For some reason, I kept the vent plugs in the whole time.
barnie.gif
No idea why....I know better! I've never done it before. I sure did it this time though and screwed up a bunch of silkies that I really wanted! I had shrink wrapped chicks and sticky chicks in the same batch. So, mine were caused by lack of air circulation. For this new set I raised the LG by placing 2X4's under the sides and yeah...leaving the vent plugs out.
he.gif

Yes...a soft toothbrush will work for fluffing them. It'll break up on it's own in a few days though, if you don't feel like messing with it.

Last edited:
My recent hatch had an assisted hatch and I missed a spot cleaning her off. Since I only hatch Serama, I avoid bathing for the first few days because the temp loss even for a few minutes can be enough to lose these fragile little girls. After that if it’s bad I will Pre-heat a bathroom, bring the bathee in to give a body temp bath to, dry in a towel and hair dry in the toasty bathroom before returning to my enclosed incubator/brooder. For larger chicks a super soft toothbrush works. For tiny chicks like bantams or serama, I use a Q-tip after soaking the area while controlling their head movement. They are so tiny they’re just one head shake away from aspirating water. Sometimes it’s just better to let them grow out, especially if the brooder you have isn’t enclosed or has a potential for any breezes.

Back
Top Bottom