Sticky poop?

spamee34

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
East Texas
I have 12 red production's that I ordered and they are only a week old on tuesday , but I noticed today that about four of them have dried poop on their little bottoms . What do I do?

Quote:
Wash it off gently with warm water and a mild soap if neccessary. May require soaking for a few minutes. Make sure they stay warm and if needed dry with a hair dryer set on low.

Imp

That is called pasty butt and is sometimes brought on by stressful conditions-shipping would be one! I used to take the chick and rinse its vent under a trickle of warm running water. Then after drying it, either blotting with a towel or using a hairdryer or both, put it back in the warm brooder. It may take a couple of times but it will eventually go away, you will probably pull some down off its butt, but that would be normal. You can try putting a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar in a quart of water, this will help their system to balance out. Good luck!!
big_smile.png

You must clean it off, it will not be able to poop with their vent blocked and it may cause its death.

Hm, I had the same thing but it soon came off itself. Maybe it's better off to leave them next time because of the blood?

Back
Top Bottom