1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sticky sticky dough

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by DuckLady, Feb 3, 2009.

1. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have 4 batches of different breads rising and in each one, I had to use up to an extra cup of flour to make it into dough instead of batter. One was a boxed Krusteaz mix I made as a control in case I forgot how to count. [​IMG] Even that one I had to add bread flour to.

Does that mean it is going to rain?

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Wow!

It does sound like you have some humidity issues going on there. Try making some pie crust from scratch; that stuff is so picky as to the humidity.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I am a-skeered of pie crust from scratch. [​IMG]

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Me TOO!!

It could be the flour... is it a different brand than you usually use or a new bag?

5. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:I made a perfect crust for a corn pie with this recipe after reading the directions from the first lady who posted a rating and many great tips. I couldn't believe how well it turned out after years of disasters with the occasional not too bad one on rare occasions.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butter-Flaky-Pie-Crust/Detail.aspx

6. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Quote:I know you can do it! The secret is to use lard - mmm, makes the best flakiest pie crust. And, to add just a bit more flour when using lard.

About the bread, I've had that happen before. The bread usually turns out fine. Last week, I had to add 1 1/2 cups extra flour to a recipe I've been using for years. Makes me wonder if my measuring was off on the liquids.
    I read somewhere that bread is better when the dough is just a bit sticky. I've tried using it on the sticky side instead of adding flour and it was good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by