Stiff black feet

“Other causes of ischemic necrosis of the feet or legs may include entangled fibres, hairs, bedding material… dried skin, frostbite or ergot poisoning” Avian Medicine principals and application, Abridged Edition ch24, dermatology, disorders affecting the feet and legs.
“Some reports detail the use of thyroid supplementation as a therapeutic regimen for foot necrosis syndrome; however, thyroid levels were not determined in the treated birds, and the indiscriminate administration of thyroxin can cause fatal toxicity.”

Apparently, it is also possible for Bumblefoot to spread into the tendons and boney structures of the feet. This can cause loss of use of the foot and movement. The only other thing I can think of would be some sort of damage to the nerves or tendons, preventing her from moving the foot. Does the lack of movement extend all the way up the leg or just in the foot?

“Other causes of ischemic necrosis of the feet or legs may include entangled fibres, hairs, bedding material… dried skin, frostbite or ergot poisoning” Avian Medicine principals and application, Abridged Edition ch24, dermatology, disorders affecting the feet and legs.
“Some reports detail the use of thyroid supplementation as a therapeutic regimen for foot necrosis syndrome; however, thyroid levels were not determined in the treated birds, and the indiscriminate administration of thyroxin can cause fatal toxicity.”

Apparently, it is also possible for Bumblefoot to spread into the tendons and boney structures of the feet. This can cause loss of use of the foot and movement. The only other thing I can think of would be some sort of damage to the nerves or tendons, preventing her from moving the foot. Does the lack of movement extend all the way up the leg or just in the foot?
The lack of movement seemed to end where the color began (just below the body feathers). Hard to tell for certain when bird trying to go to sleep.

I was told they were limping BEFORE the cold snap so they were put in quarantine due to trying to figure out the issue. The blackened tissue does seem to be frostbite (quarantine area was the empty turkey shed where the chicks had been brooded, but heatless during the cold). Causes for the limping were unknown. Bumblefoot had been the first thing suspected and crossed off as couldn't find any bumbles.

The lack of movement seemed to end where the color began (just below the body feathers). Hard to tell for certain when bird trying to go to sleep.

I was told they were limping BEFORE the cold snap so they were put in quarantine due to trying to figure out the issue. The blackened tissue does seem to be frostbite (quarantine area was the empty turkey shed where the chicks had been brooded, but heatless during the cold). Causes for the limping were unknown. Bumblefoot had been the first thing suspected and crossed off as couldn't find any bumbles.
I thought bumble would be the first thing you ruled out, and you would be pretty familiar with frostbite. Seeing you type “cold snap” is the stuff of my delicate west coast constitution’s nightmares. I hope they turn around and that it isn’t too deep… limping is not the end of the world for most chickens. Found the relationship between ergot and foot necrosis interesting though, I wouldn’t have guessed that was an effect of it, but usually the simplest cause is the most likely. I’ll be on a lot more once we get this move done, will watch for updates.

Thank you for the info and giving me hope! We hovered around 0*F several days last week. One of my roos managed to force his way out of the coop’s pop door early one morning or sometime overnight then couldn’t get back in. He has frostbite on is comb and wattles and will lose about half of each. He also has a spot on one leg that has me concerned and that foot is still red and sensitive. I’ve had girls lose a comb, wattles, or even part of a toe, and they’re just fine, but never this much tissue damage. This is the first thread I’ve found that mentions self amputation to the extent I expect for Pretty Boy, so I now feel like it’s possible for him to survive it. Yes, if he makes it through this, his name will be ironic, won’t it?! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom