Still a chicken hopeful

Julieschicks

Songster
Jun 17, 2016
Pearland, TX
Hello! Just south of Houston, Tx here. No chickens yet, but hope to get some this next spring. I've been wanting chickens for a while now and my husband has finally seemed to come around to the idea. :) We have an old greenhouse that we just moved to a new spot in the yard to convert into half coop/half greenhouse. I'll be posting in the coop building section shortly for some advice on design! I'm due with baby #3 in September so hoping to get the coop built out this summer so we're not scrambling to finish it while also dealing with a new baby and trying to add chickens all at once! Just trying to take a good amount of time to plan everything out and learn everything possible to make for a smooth transition once we're finally ready to actually get chicks! Can't wait to go on information overload on the site! :)

Julie

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Julieschicks! I am so happy you joined us here at BYC! That is very smart of you to try to put some hard work to finish the coop before your baby, and congratulations on baby #3! That will definitely be a handful with the kids and the chickens! It will all be worth it though! Raising chickens is great because they are great family pets, and not to mention are cheap, and they give us the best food ever... eggs. Every time I saw eggs around my dogs I have to say it quietly because they are as crazy for natural eggs as we are! If you need some help on chickens the best place to visit is the learning center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center I am happy you could find the coop forum on your own that means you are definitely fitting into our roost well!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, congrats on the new baby coming and the new chickies!!
woot.gif
You are gonna be a busy mom soon!!

Definitely follow the link to our Learning Center that Jucodeo has left for you. LOTS of helpful articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry from raising the chicks to keeping your adult flock happy, healthy and safe from predators.

Well, all I can say is "hang on" in these coming months, it's liable to be a roller coaster ride!!
smile.png

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock! :)

Nice to meet you Julie. Maybe that greenhouse/coop venture will turn out better than you expect. I've read that lots of folks use their greenhouse out of season(winter) for protected from the elements - free ranging for the chickens.

Nice to meet you Julie. Maybe that greenhouse/coop venture will turn out better than you expect. I've read that lots of folks use their greenhouse out of season(winter) for protected from the elements - free ranging for the chickens.
Lucky for us, we have such mild winters so close to the gulf coast, we shouldn't have any issues. :)

Thanks everyone! I've been reading up on a lot of the Learning Center articles now! Sooooo much info, but I've found some great advice already! I sketched out a preliminary floor plan this evening. Hubby has to rebuild our small pool house first, starting this weekend, so at least I've got a little more time to finalize plans before we really get to work on the coop/greenhouse. :)

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Congratulations on the new baby and good luck with the coop build and your future plans!

So where would I post about breed opinions? There's a local breeder that has a lot of different breeds good for our area and you can get all different ages for whatever you prefer, baby chicks up to hens already laying. When we do get chickens, we'll probably start with 4. I just don't know the best way to start. Should we get chicks? Or some that are already a few weeks old? Should they be all the same breed, or a variety? The kids (girls are currently 5 and 2, and baby brother will be born in September) will be out there helping me a lot, so I want to make sure we get more docile breeds. There's just so many choices! Here's the list of breeds that this local place usually has. Any good suggestions of which might be a good fit? Our goal is mainly for eggs, though I'm sure the kids will see them more as pets, and when they're done laying, we'll likely butcher for meat as well. THANKS!!

Rhode Island Reds
Plymouth Barred Rocks
Ameraucanas

Buff Orpingtons
Black Australorps
White Leghorns
Silver Laced Wyandottes
Gold Laced Wyandottes
Speckled Sussex
Light Brahmas
Buff Brahmas
Dark Brahmas