still air incubator temp/humidity spikes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dogolady, May 1, 2016.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I have NEVER heard of this so I don't know about it being common. As a matter of fact I know quite a few people who actually prefer to use the still air styros as a hatcher.

2. Dogolady

Dogolady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2016
    Hmmmm... again I am new to this....just trying to follow advice ppl give...i was hoping someone else had been thru this....the bator windows get so foggy i cant even see thru them

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Have you tried a different thermometer? Thinking maybe when the humidity get up from the hatch---it causes you thermometer to act up/read wrong??? In order to get from 100 to 110 and anywhere in between takes Heat. If you got one 100 degree chick hatched or 30 100 degree chicks hatched------it still is only 100 degree chicks so the temp would not go above 100 from the hatch. No this is not common and I have hatched in Styrofoam many. many. many times.

You said the humidity gets real high and you can not see in-------what does the humidity read when you are hatching(when you can read the meter)? How much water do you have in the incubator during the hatch? Does these incubators have a fan in them?

4. Dogolady

Apr 27, 2016
    No there is no fan in them. They are totally still air. I have 2 different thermometers in each bator and had to drop a digital thermometer sensor in when i cant read them thru the windows. So 5 different thermometers ive been using. Humidity is high 80s after hatching starts. About 75 before.

5. Dogolady

Apr 27, 2016
    I put a damp washcloth on the side under one of the vent holes so i can add warm water thru the hole to get it to around 75 for hatching without opening during lockdown

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Again, How Much Water you got in the bottom?
    Why are you running the humidity so high----75% before thatch?? It doesn't appear to be working for you is what I am saying.
    Maybe being the humidity is so high----water droplets are getting on the thermostat board and shorting it out---causing it to spike???

Are you hand turning your eggs?
    What is your humidity for the first 18 days of incubation?

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  7. Dogolady

Apr 27, 2016
    Hand turning 2x a day for 1st 3 wks. Humidity is in the 40s first 3 wks. Just enuf water in bottom channels so its not dry. Add washcloth at lockdown, goes to 65+. I was told 75 humidity for hatching so i add water as needed.

8. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, I would try the next hatch at 30 some % for the first 18 days, then 65% for the hatch. I think you will see better luck. You do realize you can get a small computer fan out of a old computer or buy a new one from radio shack, etc. If its a 12 volt dc fan you can wire it to a 6 volt or 7 1/2 volt or 9 volt dc power pack---similar to a cell phone charger. You hook it to the lower voltage power pack so it will not turn so fast. You can lay this fan right on your wire in the middle of the incubator blowing up and it will keep your air circulated. You will need a small piece of 1/4" hardware cloth to make a fan guard so the chicks do not get in the fan blades OR a lot of times the used ones in a computer will have a wire fan cover already on it. OR you can order a fan kit and add it to your incubator which cost more but----you have everything you will need with it.

9. Dogolady

Apr 27, 2016
    I will try lower humidity and see if that helps. Will have to see about the fan also. Thx for the advice!

1 person likes this.
  10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I don't know about the LGs but I know with the hovabator 1588, in small print it says somewhere not to run humidity above 65% because it will mess up the digital components and I know a couple people that have had to reset their system because of it. I myself run 75% at hatch but I have a fan in mine and I open a lot during hatch so I don't have an issue with humidity building up. I always say, if you have condensation in the bator, it needs to be cut back. I never see condensation in my bator, but I've seen people with different incubators try to run higher and have condensation at 70%. I think that in itself is a big tell. I think that it is very plausible that the condensation in the bator could be playing a major part with the digital components.

30% is my sweet spot for humidity during the first 17 days with most of my eggs as well. If I can't stay close to that dry, I add a sponge. I don't use my water wells until lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by