1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still air or circulated air?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by E.M. Silkies, Nov 25, 2010.

1. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Which is better? I've been using a friends incubator. It's a still air hova bator 1602. It seems to work pretty well but I was just wondering what the benefit was of circulated air incubators? I'm looking into buying my own hova bator and wanted to know which is best?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Personally, I would go with circulated air, and I hear the hovabators are great. I have the Brinsea Octogon 20, it holds 24 eggs and I love it.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

4. E.M. Silkies

E.M. Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:Wow that was very interesting. Thank you so much! So even if I was using a still air I could just put a little fan in there? Just do it before I add eggs and get it regulated?

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Yep.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Still air and circulated air is the same thing, what you're thinking of is circulated (still) air and forced air.

7. OkieChickenDad

OkieChickenDad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    We use a still air hovabator...from 1985...never had a problem with it at all and the last 5 set avg was 94%. The air colum thing makes sense, but its not the reality for us. I have thermometer on the eggs and one on the screen, plus a wet bulb. The temp on the floor and the temp on the top of the eggs never deviates by more than 1 degree...ever. All of our sets have hatched on time and we have done turkeys and guineas as well. Turning by hand sucks, but I say if it aint broke, dont fix it. If you have the cash, get a nice one with all the bells and whistles, but if you are like my daughter, you get an old still air with allowance money. 3 things I know for sure. I have never seen digital eqiupment and fans under a hen...hens dont turn 3 times a day at even spaced intervals...and still air 'bators hatch eggs. [​IMG]

8. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I added a computer fan to my Little Giant, it was really easy and if you can find a pc fan instead of the kit, do it! Far cheaper and it's the same thing!
    Also, for a turner, just place a block under the incubator itself. Far cheaper and easy to do, less invasive, too.
    Save about $100 this way. ^.^

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by