Still air or circulated air?

E.M. Silkies

Songster
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
Georgia
Which is better? I've been using a friends incubator. It's a still air hova bator 1602. It seems to work pretty well but I was just wondering what the benefit was of circulated air incubators? I'm looking into buying my own hova bator and wanted to know which is best?

Quote:
Wow that was very interesting. Thank you so much! So even if I was using a still air I could just put a little fan in there? Just do it before I add eggs and get it regulated?

We use a still air hovabator...from 1985...never had a problem with it at all and the last 5 set avg was 94%. The air colum thing makes sense, but its not the reality for us. I have thermometer on the eggs and one on the screen, plus a wet bulb. The temp on the floor and the temp on the top of the eggs never deviates by more than 1 degree...ever. All of our sets have hatched on time and we have done turkeys and guineas as well. Turning by hand sucks, but I say if it aint broke, dont fix it. If you have the cash, get a nice one with all the bells and whistles, but if you are like my daughter, you get an old still air with allowance money. 3 things I know for sure. I have never seen digital eqiupment and fans under a hen...hens dont turn 3 times a day at even spaced intervals...and still air 'bators hatch eggs.
big_smile.png

I added a computer fan to my Little Giant, it was really easy and if you can find a pc fan instead of the kit, do it! Far cheaper and it's the same thing!
Also, for a turner, just place a block under the incubator itself. Far cheaper and easy to do, less invasive, too.
Save about $100 this way. ^.^

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom